AdWords
5.3K members online now
5.3K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Getting AdWords Display clicks from under construction site

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

Please see in the screenshot below how I am getting clicks from spam websites like an "under construction" website www.dir-web.co.uk

clicks-from-under-construction-website.png

Also getting tons of high Display CTR rates from weird domain extensions like

online-filmek.im

kepzavar.co.vu  (which advertises to be giving free domain names here http://codotvu.com/ , but whoever registers are getting a subdomain at .co.vu )

ezutos.ga

36stiri.pw

freshnewsfromtheworld.pw

bobaedream.co.kr

mangafox.me

ukrinform.ua

arieseni.pro

Where can I send a complaint about all these domains in one message ?

[Later Edit] I also do not understand how am I getting 15 clicks from the home page of confused.com which is a website entirely in english when my GDN campaign targets only Romanian language and that website has no AdSense on the home page ? See screenshot below :

GDN-bad-traffic.png

Thank you

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Getting AdWords Display clicks from under construction site

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hello Adrian,

Thanks for the question.

I see that display ads do show up on parked domain websites. I see that www.dir-web.co.uk is a parked domain. You can read more at

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/50002?hl=en

If you do not want to show ads on parked domain websites, then you can exclude them.

Regarding the other domains with high CTR, I see that the websites looks genuine. I am not sure if you are doing remarketing. If you are not happy with those placements then either you can exclude the placements or optimize your targeting method so that the ads can be showed on relevant placements. You can contact the support team if you feel the clicks look spam.

I am not sure whether "confused.com" is a AdSense partner or not. I think they are partner because if they are not partner then AdWords will not show the ads. I think the reason for your ads to be shown could be because of re-marketing.

I hope it helped. Let me know if you have any concerns.

Thanks,
Rahul

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you for answering

1) It is a normal Display campaign, not remarketing, not even using remarketing lists as "bid only" targeting . These are automated placements obtained from "keywords " targeting , "Topics" targeting or "Gender +age " targeting.

2) I have excluded parked domains at the campaign level, there is no way dir-web.co.uk could have shown my ads on their home page since it only has a picture with "under construction" .

To me it seems that some publishers have found a way to trick  the AdSense software to accumulate many clicks very fast probably by running the ads under a script which is not visibile to the human visitor.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
I think if you have a tightly themed keyword list then your ads should not show on irrelevant placement.

One question, what is the data range for which you are looking at the placement report?

There could be a possibility that these could be some bad publishers.

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Data range - past 4 days

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
I checked and I see that dir-web.co.uk is a parked domain since Jan 2015. Since you have excluded parked domain websites, the ads should not be shown on dir-web.co.uk. I think an investigation in this could clear the things.

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
Hi Adrian B,

This sounds strange enough. I've requested escalation of this issue. Maybe we'll get some answers.

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Yes it is strange , thank you for the escalation.

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Here is another click I just received a few hours ago from the home page of www.b.dk  a large website from Denmark (Alexa Global Rank 15,601 ) which has no AdSense code on their home page . The adsense code would start with "google_ad_client = "ca-pub-"

All this traffic is particularly strange since I am targeting only Romanian language.

My client's AdWords ID begins with 660-4...

click-from-home-page-with-no-adsense.png

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

8 days after the escalation and nothing has happened, nobody contacted me.