AdWords
3.4K members online now
3.4K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Get day keyword was introduced into campaign

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey everyone,

I want to calculate various statistics for keywords in my campaigns.

My challenge is just, that in order to calculate f.e the mean-return per day for each individual keyword, I need to know the date it was introduced in the campaign. Is there a way to get that information preferably in bulk?

Best,

Andre

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Andre
November 2016

Re: Get day keyword was introduced into campaign

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Andre  unfortunately not, AdWords doesn't store a date of creation for such elements (or at least, if it does, it's not accessible).  What you could try would be to inspect each Keyword and look for a date where it first received impressions, you'd have to do this through a script as it'd be tiresome otherwise, but it should work.

The downside is that it's likely to be very slow; the script would essentially have to step back through each day, one at a time, until it reached a day with 0 impressions and then go further to make sure it wasn't just an "off day".  It might be impractical because of this speed issue.  There's also the problem of Keywords that have changed; no Keywords are ever actually edited, only removed and created, so if you had a Keyword red shoes, changed it one day to red shoe and then later back to red shoes, these are three separate Keywords and there's no link between them, so it'd be very difficult to gather your intel for the red shoes Keyword.

How frequent are your conversions?  If they're very frequent (say, 5 or more per day per Keyword) I'd be inclined to create a script that simply looked for a reasonable data period and calculate the stats based upon that.  In this way, the script would be limited in how many days it looked back and could take some shortcuts to exclude Keywords that definitely didn't make the grade.

Going forward, you might want to consider using a script I find very useful that applies a Label containing a date to any Keywords or Ads that don't already have one.  This script runs every night and therefore effectively labels these elements with their date of first use.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Jon!

I'd have to look for another solution I guess. I thought about a script. However it won't get me where I want since it only allows a date_range of a month. Do you know if something like that would be possible via the api? A lot of my keywords didn't get impressions the first day due to budget allocations that wouldn't allow them to get to the first page and other reasons. The change history would be a place for that since it should document when a keyword was added. But I have no idea of how to get data out of it..

Andre

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi @Andre  where did you read scripts can only support a date range of a month?  You can specify whatever date range you want, as far as I know, to the limits of what data is available.  All methods that support a date range static like "LAST_30_DAYS" also support two (properly formatted dates) in the format (from,to).

Unfortunately (I seem to say this a lot about scripts!) Change History isn't accessible, so that's a non-starter as well.  What sort of date range were you looking for?  A while back (hmm, actually about 15 years ago) I wrote a search algorithm that "narrowed down" on a target by starting from extremes and something like that might work well to identify the first day with data, rather than stepping back one day at a time, a form of "bucket sort".

Jon

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi @Jon_Gritton! First of all thanks a lot for your help!

Regarding the lookback window, I tried it today and saw in the AWQL documentation that the date_range of ALL_TIME is not supported in scripts. Specifying the date range is something I haven't tried yet (nor thought about).

Thanks a lot for the tip I will look into it ASAP!

My idea was to look for the dates per keyword-id that have a max.cpc = 0, count those days and subtract them from the entire time frame..but since max.cpc is always the current state this won't work. As I mentioned, Impressions won't do the trick either since I have thousands of keywords without Impressions.

Can you think of an other qualifier like max.cpc?

Andre

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi @Andre personally, I would never use "ALL_TIME" anyway; it's very rare that I can look at a "mature" Account and say that nothing has changed to affect the performance (outside of AdWords); products and services have popular and unpopular periods, rise and fall in success and so on, so to look at a very long period of time can often give an unreliable indication of change in performance.  Even if your product is something that has a steady demand, has the website remained exactly the same for "all time"; how has the increase in mobile usage changed it, changes in competition, changes in AdWords itself?  This is why I try hard to persuade clients not to look too hard at performance levels from more than a year or so in the past, too much is likely to have changed to make the comparison fair or meaningful; it's a bit like comparing the price of a new car 50 years ago to today, without considering any of the factors that influence "cost" in real terms, but highly compressed timewise (because the web and AdWords develops so rapidly).  If I wanted to do a long-term statistical view with AdWords, I'd probably choose 3 month periods, possibly even monthly, and look at trends rather than absolutes, at the same time factoring in known quieter/busier periods.

As far as actually analysing the data goes, if you have Keywords with zero impressions, do you even need to analyse them?  If they have no impressions, no clicks, no spend, can't you simply ignore them?  In fact, why are they even still in the Account?

Jon

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Jon, love your passion for adwords! In order to get exact values for mean and variance reports I wanted to get the exact date. But you are right. There have been some mayor things happening on the site and it is probably better to just look back 30 - 90 days. Thanks again for your help!