AdWords
2.1K members online now
2.1K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Geographic data under the dimensions tab

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Question

Under the dimension tab on an AdWords account you can get geographic information. However, the category unknown takes up a very large post and I am wondering if anybody can give plausible explanations for why that is?

Thanks in advance!!

Kristian

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Geographic data under the dimensions tab

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee

Hi Kristian,

This is an interesting question. It's going to be difficult to troubleshoot without being able to see the account. 

So make sure that your campaigns are active and running. If your campaigns are not running or you have received no clicks the dimensions will not show.

If this doesn't help, I will be more than happy to refer your question to our support team. 

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Kristian J
September 2015

Badged Google Partner
# 3
Badged Google Partner

It probably has to do with user privacy settings, or Google (Yahoo and Microsoft) "not reporting" as much data as they used to... Maybe?

Do you have analytics? If so, then how does the source/medium data break down by geography? If you know what your clicks : visits ratio is as per AdWords as a source, and if analytics reports more data, then even though you might not be able to see it in the AdWords UI, you can at least start to make some targeting or bid option optimizations based on geography.

One thing I have started doing with enhacned campaigns, is adding multiple locations within a larger location. For example, adding individual states while targeting the entire US. Or cities/DMA's within certain states, etc. It gives you another tool to use within the AdWords UI to help parse out, and optimize geographic targeting.

Tom

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
The privacy settings could probably explain a lot of the "unknown" clicks.

I appreciate the help.