AdWords
3.8K members online now
3.8K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

GCLID has been altered.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Has anyone received this error uploading offline conversions? 

We are unable to import a conversion for this click since the provided GCLID has been altered.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: GCLID has been altered.

Community Manager
# 2
Community Manager
Hi there,

Could be a couple reasons for this:
(1) The code you implemented on your site to capture the GCLID is capturing something else, or capturing only a part of the GCLID
(2) You are capturing the proper GCLID on the website, but it’s getting mangled when you transmit to to your backend system, when you are storing it in that system, or when you are retrieving it for import into AdWords.

Do you think either of these might be the cause?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks CocoP
This is very possible for the id to get mangled. I use a call tracking service that delivers the reporting with the id to associate per campaign. They don't seem to be reliable in other aspects so it could be their system here as well. Which makes the report obsolete if it only partial.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I am having the same issues uploading phone call conversions from my call tracking provider (Mongoose Metrics). Some of the conversions are accepted, others show a message of "We are unable to import a conversion for this click since the provided GCLID has been altered."

Community Manager
# 5
Community Manager
Hi Brian,

Have you explored whether the two reasons explained above could be the culprit?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Brian
Yep, I too use Mongoose and it is indeed the way they capture the new gclid data. As for now they have no fix.
Mongoose -
"We discovered that Google recently made changes in the length of their GCLID variable from 28 characters to anywhere below 100 characters. Although most GCLID's are still 28, we found we need to update our system to account for any GCLID's up to 100 characters in length. I apologize for this inconvenience and our developers are currently working on a solution. I will update you as soon as this issue has been resolved and I apologize for the inconvenience. "

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Yes I did explore the two options above. For my particular case the two options above would not apply since my call tracking provider is sending me reports with our GCLID's in an excel sheet format. I'm pretty sure lloyd C anwsered my question below. It's a direct issue with my call tracking provider.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Mongoose Metrics has resolved the issue with only capturing the first 28 characters of the GCLID. For any failed conversions in the past, we can pull the full GCLID from our database if we have time of call and incoming number.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Mini-CM (Community Manager)
December 2015

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Google now offers website call tracking. I will be testing it on small accounts.
http://searchengineland.com/google-launches-ability-track-website-call-conversions-adwords-200955

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am having this same issue but we are not using Mongoose and are importing the offline conversions manually via a spreadsheet. The GCLID's that are importing successfully are all 26 characters in length while those that are resulting in an error are all 50 characters in length. I have been wondering if somehow additional characters have been added to the bad GCLID's? If so, can I somehow remove the additional characters to get the number down to 26 and reimport? Anyone else have success on this front?