AdWords
6K members online now
6K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

GCLID and hashtag in URL

Badged Google Partner
# 1
Badged Google Partner

Hello,

I have got some URLs containing hashtag symbol (#). Also my auto-tagging option is ON and is completely destroying original URL - mostly deleting filtering on website.

AdWords help says, that GCLID parameter should be placed before that hashtag part. That is understandable and it is the same for manual tagging.

However I wonder how do I change GCLID placement for these certain URLS?

So I might have url like this:

test.cz/test#red

and how/where do I set so the GCLID would be placed before # like this: test.cz/&gclid=12345#red

Thanks in advance!

Tomas

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: GCLID and hashtag in URL

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hello, Tomas.

A normal query string should look something like this:

example.com/something/page.html?param1=value1&param2=value2&...&paramN=valueN#anchor

The first "key" (param) is always preceded by the question mark. If there's only one key/value pair, there is no ampersand. If there are more than one, the first is preceded by the question mark and all the rest are preceded by ampersands. The anchor/hashtag comes last.

So, in your case, a URL such as test.cz/test#red should become test.cz/test?gclid=12345#red

Hope it helps.
Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Badged Google Partner
# 3
Badged Google Partner
Hello Calin,

unfortunately this website does not use standard query a it starts with symbol # instead of ?

and therefore the final URL gets broken when the GCLID gets automatically added to the URL. In browser it is ok, in Adwords it is ok, but when I click on ad: the url changes to some nonsense form.

Example: website.com/fridges#t=8,17&sort=score&off=0
Turns with GCLID into: website.com/fridges?nofilter&gclid=CP_M7fDFpM0CLawy0wod6IsMxw#

Thanks,

Tomáš

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
I'm sorry, but this means you'll have to see what is possible at website/webserver level. AdWords has no other way to insert the parameter in the URL.
Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.