AdWords
2.2K members online now
2.2K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

GCLID and TrackingTemplate

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi

My campaign is setup with a tracking template which redirects to the final url (after adding some parameters).

Question is - how do I now link this to Analytics ? 

The default option would be to enable auto tagging however since I'm using a trackingtemplate and a redirect this will not end up in the final url

Should I manually add the GCLID to my tracking url and pass it on when I redirect to the final url ?

thanks !

4 Expert replyverified_user

Re: GCLID and TrackingTemplate

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Nicholas,
You can not add GCLID by using ValueTrack options https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2375447 - there is no such parameter, but enabling auto tagging will add parameter GCLID automatically. So in your tracking software you should set up a custom variable with name GCLID, capture it ant pass to final url with your own parameter GCLID.
In Voluum it would look like &gclid={var:gclid}

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star
Hi Nicholas,

You need to access the Google analytics account. If not there then signup with the same email ID.
Go the adwords dashboard >> tools >> Google analytics.

After accessing the GA account, go to admin >> property >> adwords linking.
There you will have the auto-tagging option within advanced setting during the linking process.

Regards
Archit, AdWords Rising Star, Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi @Nicholas C,

Gclid  is a unique Parameters, which are automatically pass in the final URL, once you enable the Auto tagging in AdWords. this unique ID parameters helps AdWords to share and receive the information with Google Analytics.

--Rakesh Kumar, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi @Nicholas C,

If you are already using manual tagging, I don't think you need automatic tagging and GCLID to fetch data in your Analytics account. 

A lot depends on your current tracking template structure. How about using UTMs and/or ValueTrack to send the data you need manually to Analytics? You won't need GCLID in this case.

Thanks
Ratan Jha
Join me on Google+   |   Tweeter

Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star
Hey Nicholas, how are things?

As others have mentioned, the GCLID parameters will begin to show on your URLs automatically when you make the link between Adwords and GA (which in the process, google turns on the auto-tagging for you, which is the feature that will add the GCLID).

If you have redirects on the way, YOU need to make sure that every single one of those redirect are grabbing and passing any parameters along to the next page. It's something on your side. Since you don't have control over GCLID and they simply appear on your URL, you need some development to read if your URL contain "gclid=", and if it does, pass that along.

Hope this helps.
_

Leandro Martinez | Basta1Click

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks everyone

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Igor!

Where in Voluum I insert the {var:gclid} to foward to the network affiliate the gclid value? Do you sugest any other tracker system that foward the gclid easilly?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Bruno, How are you?

Well if you want to add the Gclid var, you should do this:

1) Go to Traffic Source
2) Choose the Traffic Source & Edit
3) On the right click on Advanced 
4) You will see parameters, than add {var:gclid} on "Placeholder"

And another thing Smiley Happy Voluum would be your best friend, you could do alot of things on it Smiley Wink  

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Igor,

Are you saying that we use Voluum this way?

Google Ad

Final URL: domain.com

Tracking URL: tracker.123.com/?gclid={var3}

...then Voluum will grab the gclid and append to the final URL?