AdWords
1.4K members online now
1.4K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

GA tracking issue

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

This is Ramya. Why the GA tracking the cpc transaction details in direct source. What could be the reason? Is that the problem with Google or Website tracking?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: GA tracking issue

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi, Ramya.

Normally, if you do not tag your ads' URLs manually and also do not use auto-tagging (https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1752125?hl=en), your traffic should be registered as google / organic.

However, if only your conversion data is skewed and if conversions are registered as direct traffic the only reason I can think about is a third-party making a call to a page which renders the GA javascript without having the adwords cookie.

I've seen it happen with some payment processors before, when a post-conversion redirect was not executed for whatever reasons.
Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Calin,

Thanks for your reply.

Can you brief to sort out this issue? third-party making a call means, could you please gimme an example?

Is that the problem with payment processors?
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Ramya A
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Sometimes the following situation occurs: somebody reaches your website by clicking an adwords ad and a cookie is set.\

In order for Analytics to register that conversion as belonging to AdWords, a conversion needs to happen within 6 months (usually), the adwords cookie still has to be present and no subsequent website visit (other than a direct visit) should happen.

If a conversion does not happen in 6 months, Analytics will not record a conversion for that click. If a subsequent organic or referral visit happens (or from any channel other than direct), Analytics will attribute the conversion to that channel.

If a direct visit follows the ad click within 6 months and then the conversion happens, Analytics should still attribute it to AdWords (which is why we see conversions from campaigns long paused in analytics).

However, in some cases, someone reaches the website through an adwords ad, goes to the third party payment processor and completes the conversion (i.e. makes the payment). In order for Analytics to successfully attribute the transaction to adwords, the customer needs to be redirected to the original website and has to complete the conversion there. Alternately, the Analytics transaction code should be executed on that payment page, but I did not see that happen so far (I'm not saying it's not possible though).

However, in some cases, the payment is pending after the customer completes the transaction and the Analytics script is not executed. Some time later, when payment is confirmed, the third party payment processor triggers a script, directly and that script contains the javascript for the Analytics transaction. In this case, the browser used by the application being run by the payment processor does not have the adwords cookie, so Analytics can only attribute the transaction to direct traffic.

All you can do is analyze how conversions are happening in your case and see if customers are being redirected to the website after paying. If they are, then my assumption is wrong. But in any case, you need to analyze your conversion path, on the website and on the payment processing page to see where things are going wrong. You can do this by clicking one of the ads and completing a low-cost transaction, for instance.

Hope it helps,
Calin
Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Ramya, 

I'm agree with Adwiser, But the another & simple way you enable your account Auto Tagging and after that data will show in CPC medium. 

original.png