AdWords
2.3K members online now
2.3K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

GA code makes specific Adwords code unnecessary for remarketing?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, I want to set up remarketing lists in Adwords. I have the GA code installed on my website. I read somewhere that that makes the installation of a specific Adwords code with which you can collect data needed to create remarketing lists unnecessary. Is that so? If not what code do I need to install (shared library - audiences - website visitors - setup) ? Thanks

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: GA code makes specific Adwords code unnecessary for remarketing?

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi Sven, how are things?

I wouldn't say it's unnecessary, but rather optional, in my opinion.

Remarketing from Adwords

If you choose to run Remarketing using Adwords, you'd need to go on your Shared Library and grab a piece of code to install on every page of your website, similar to the Google Analytics one. Once installed, Adwords will begin to collect data and you'll be able to set everything from there.

This page might help on the installation: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2476688

Remarketing from Google Analytics

Remarketing from GA requires a few things in order to work. 

First, one benefit is that you won't have to add another piece of code to your pages as the one we saw on Adwords. You can use your already existing GA code to do this (might just need some modification depending on what option you choose). This page have multiple options for you to enable remarketing from GA: https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/2444872

Second, you would need to link your Adwords with your Analytics account in order to transfer remarketing data from GA to Adwords. This is how you link accounts: https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1033961?hl=en

General Thoughts

Honestly, both options will have the same effect. If you're new to Adwords and remarketing, I recommend to do everything using Adwords and getting used to it from there. Once you get the hang on how it works, what options do you have and such, then you can migrate to Analytics to have a more deeper range of options.

I like to think this way: Will I use Analytics options to create my remarketing lists? If the answer is no, then go with Adwords setup, if it's Yes, then go with Analytics. don't do it from GA if you won't use the features, because it will give more steps to set everything up for the same result.

Hope this helps.

_

Leandro Martinez | Basta1Click

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star
Hi Sven,

You are correct that if you have Google Analytics on your site then you don't need an AdWords remarketing tag to create audiences. You can create the audiences directly within Google Analytics after you have linked it to your AdWords account. The following articles will help with the process:

Enable remarketing in Google Analytics: https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/2444872
Use the remarketing audience in AdWords: https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/2611291?hl=en

Hope this helps,
Jim
Jim Vaillancourt, AdWords Rising Star, LinkedIn
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hey, thanks for quick reply. I m doing it via GA. Its all set up correctly (I think) but I m just wondering why my lists are so small. There was a remarketing list in the library already (I didnt put it there - i guess Google did that automatically). Its a tag based "All users" list. But why is it 130 people only`? My website doesnt have high traffic but not THAT low. And now I just created a list just based on people who were on any pg on my domain and its zero. I dont get it.

[ Edited ]
Rising Star
# 5
Rising Star

Hey Sven,

If you created an audience based on anyone who has been to your site then that is the most inclusive audience that you can create. Remarketing audiences take time to pool users. The audience will generally start at 0 and then grow from the day you created based on your criteria.

Also, your list of 130 users could be small based on the criteria used to build the list (not every user on the site). Or the duration could be shorter than average (like 7 days instead of 30).

Jim

Jim Vaillancourt, AdWords Rising Star, LinkedIn
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star
Aside from the different paths to setup, GA has an advantage over AdWords - you can create your own custom audiences.

So if you have a need to remarket to just a particular gender, for example, go the GA route.