AdWords
1.8K members online now
1.8K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

GA checking: visit from Google become Organic/Not set

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Guys,

Can you help me to solve the problem on GA checking? Currently, a lot of visits from my Google campaigns turn into Direct/Organic/Not set, given that I running search and contextual (text ads) in the same campaign. Also, due to client security issues, i don't have permisson to link GA (no admin right) and Adwords account. It creates a lot of difficulties on tracking campaign performance.

Thanks much.

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: GA checking: visit from Google become Organic/Not set

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Hung,
Welcome to AdWords communitySmiley Happy

It seems that your AdWords is not linked with Google Analytics. so link your AdWords account with GA to fix your problem.

Here you can follow the below link to link the AdWords with Analytics:-

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1704341?hl=en

But you have mentioned that you don't have Admin right of GA.

so you can use the manual tagging to get the seperate AdWords data in GA. Use the tool URL builder tool to get the AdWords data on your GA interface.

Here is the link that you can read how to set up URL builder:-

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1033867?hl=en

http://www.ppchero.com/guide-to-url-tracking-in-google-analytics/

--Rakesh Kumar, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Rakesh,

Many thanks for your answer. However i already used manual tagging and the visit come from contextual GDN(ad-text) mostly come up with Direct/Organic. I don't know the reason why.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Hung D,

Manual tagging is the way to go if you are unable to link your accounts. Did you use the link builder in Analytics? Are the variable names all utm_*? ( utm_source, utm_campaign, etc.)

If you answered yes to the above, are there any redirects involved with the destination URL's? If there are, make sure you are forwarding the query string as well. Sometimes, when a redirect is not done properly, the query string gets dropped and the traffic will appear as organic.

If it's not either of these things, post back and we'll try to come up with other possibilities.

If you can, would you post the manual tagging you have on the destination URL's? We can take a look to see if anything is missing from the tags.

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Many Thanks Pete

Usually i do the following:

***/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term={keyword}&utm_campaign=Search

From what i expected is that because i also use contextual targeting in Search campaign with this URL, so it has created confusion for GA to identify the source of visit. Do you have any ideas on that?

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Hi Hung D,

For contextual targeting use utm_medium=display.

This should work whether your accounts are linked or not. What do you see in Analytics under Acquisition->Campaigns? You should find your paid traffic there.

If you're not finding the traffic there, I still suspect there is a redirect on your end involved.

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Yes Pete, i find my paid search under acquisition section .However, i lost a lot of traffic to organic/direct given that i run only paid search and the website is pretty new.

For contextual targeting i don't use utm_medium=display because i want to see all the traffic come from my search campaign including ad-text running contextual.

Anyway, thanks a lot for your time. Appreciate it