AdWords
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

GA Remarketing Code vs. Adwords Remarketing Code

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Are both necessary?

When you enable the subtle difference in the Google Analytics code (to enable remarketing lists leveraging list attributes only available there) enough to establish remarketing overall?

Or should I put on the AW Remarketing code as well?

Regards, Doug
LinkedIn  
3 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by John Paul (Google Employee)
September 2015

Re: GA Remarketing Code vs. Adwords Remarketing Code

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi PPCbuilder,

Welcome to the AdWords CommunitySmiley Happy

The basic difference between AdWords and Analaytics Remarketing Code:-

1.Both AdWords and Remarketing put all the users(from all sources) in the remarketing list. However targeting the audiences from individual sources is not possible through AdWords remarketing.
But if you use analytics remarketing you can target different lists based on sources like one list for organic visitors another for SEM visitors.

2. Can target the Audiences in both Search and Display remarketing campaigns through AdWords Remarketing where as Analytics Remarketing audinces are only targeted in display campaign ( as far as I know).

3. Analytics Remarketing audiences can be created more granular level. Means Audiences can be created on the basis of Analytics Metrics and dimensions:- Visit Duration, Browser, Operating System, Country/Territory, City, and Goal Completions.
whereas through Adwordd you can create your audiences based on your pages.

Thus, it depends on you which one is better for you based on your requirements.
--Rakesh Kumar, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Accepted Solution?

The query wasn't answered.

Would not I be the judge - the query poser, if Acceptable?

Regards, Doug
LinkedIn  

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Doug,

I like the answer from Rakesh because he underlines differences to help you make a choice. 

In my particular case, if it helps you make a decision, I have used both codes.

I think both codes have the option to load asynchronous and they do not put too much burden on the pages loading time. I use both remarketing : RLSA with the AdWords tag audiences and Display with customized audiences made with analytics. 

Remarketing with analytics is only about modifying a little the code that is already on the page, so it is just a matter of adding the AdWords tag or not. I see nothing to lose if you use AdWords Tag too.

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
is it necessary to have to have AW code, if you have GA code?
Regards, Doug
LinkedIn  

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

In my opinion , only if you want to target remarketing in Search, an option that is not available for cookies set by doubleclick from the analytics code.

For Remarketing in Display Campaigns, the analytics code is far better because it allows advanced segmentation while the adwords tag only allows rules regarding the visited pages. It is easier to target "non-converted" visitors with analytics remarketing because of this segmentation, through customized audiences.

[ Edited ]
Google Employee
# 7
Google Employee

Hi PPCBUILDERS,

Thanks for your posting. In regards to your question, 'Would not I be the judge - the query poser, if Acceptable?" There are 4 users from the community that can mark an Accepted as Solution: the original poster, a Google employee, a Community Manager and a Top Contributor. In addition, on any given post with an Adwords question there could be several Accepted as Solution. Going back to your question, if you as the original poster believe the Accepted as Solution was marked as incorrect one, you do have the option to remove it by clicking on settings - Not the Solution (See Example screenshot). Not the Solution.png

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Adrian,

I am having this same problem when I see your post here. I am using smart pixel tracking code, if I want to switch to GA remarketing, do I need to change my current tracking code? I learn from somewhere that if I create segments on GA, there will automatically appear on my AdWords, but it didn't happen.

Also, what will happen to my current remarketing list if I switch to GA remarketing? Will they disappear? I am planning to keep the original ones and at the same time develop GA remarketing list.

Thanks!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hello,

Did you get an answer about that? What happens to your lists if using analytics in stead of adwords tracking code and did you manage to keep your current REM lists?

Thanks!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hello,

I have a doubt about using both codes: In our adwords account it appears that we have both analytics and adwords codes set up... However I think that we are only using the adwords one. How can we switch to the analytics one for display and keep the adwords one for search remarketing? Next to each list the current code appears to be the adwords one...

Thanks!