AdWords
4K members online now
4K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Funnel Visualization Question

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi everyone,

Looking at my funnel visualization report for a Checkout goal I have set up, the top exit from each page (second top exit in the case of step 3 in the funnel below) is the same page that is set up for the step. I feel that it is unlikely that that many users for each would be refreshing the page or clicking on the cart button again when they are already on the cart page, for example. Any thoughts?Screen Shot 2016-06-07 at 3.23.46 PM.png

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Funnel Visualization Question

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Sarah,
This indeed doesn't look like it's set up correctly.
I've seen this before in a lot of cart software and custom setups.

Two things you need to check.
The first is your actual funnel setup. Make sure /cart is set as the first step and make sure it's set as a required step.
That might seem trivial and condescending but please make sure that it's set correctly.

Next, you'll need to check the actual pageview being fired. It's most likely that the tag is firing twice when the user lands on each step in the funnel. First of all, check that the code is installed ONCE on the pages of your site. Then, install the "Google Tag Assistant" chrome extension and use it to record a session with you walking through the funnel. It will show you what hits are being sent. In my experience, it's likely that two hits are being sent for some reason.

If you'd like to share your URL (use a URL shortener if you'd like a bit of privacy), I'll run through it and see if I can spot anything.