AdWords
5.6K members online now
5.6K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Frequency capping questions for maximum reach

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I want to set a branding campaign with the setting 1 impression per user per month, to obtain a maximum reach of people within a limited budget. For example if I set the CPM for 1 $ I want 1000 people to get served the banner for 1$. 

Now I have found some gaps of information :

1) How is the "unique user" defined for frequency capping , in the understanding of google 

"Frequency is the average number of times a unique user sees your ad over a given time period."

a) Is it a person logged in their google account ?

b) Is it a cookie based decision so that if the browser deletes the cookie the actual computer can get served again , even with a setting of 1 frequency capping per month ?

c) Is it a method of identifying the actual user across browsers or devices ( other than the google account) ?

2) Is it safe to assume that with this capping of 1 , the reach and frequency report show me only 1 row with the frequency of 1 and no info for frequency 2 , 3 and so on ?

3) If I get 100.000 impressions with this setup, will the "Reach and frequency report" show me the exact same total after adding the "Unique users" for the days of the month, because in this setup "1 impression is 1 unique user" ?

4) Is it safe to assume that "frequency per month" means a limitation for calendaristic month not 30 days on an average ? For example if I start my campaign on the 30 March , the same user can see the Ad again a few days later on the 2nd of April, because the capping is "1 per month" ?

Thank you in advance for your opinions Smiley Happy

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Adrian B
September 2015

Re: Frequency capping questions for maximum reach

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Good morning

You have asked many times, in different discussions, about how the system defines a "unique user." I don't think there's anything new to add to the answers you've already gotten. The simple answer is that the program defines a unique user in a variety of ways--the methodology can vary depending on circumstances. There is no single process.

2, Yes, the frequency report should show 1 if you set up the campaign and capping guides correctly.

3. The program will do its best to deliver 1:1.

4. Yes.

The overall answer is that the program does its best to deliver your ads according to the parameters you set for them. 100% accuracy in all situations is not possible, but AdWords gets very close. Common sense tells us that there are always going to be outliers--unusual situations where things don't turn out precisely the way we anticipated.

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Adrian B
September 2015

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Good morning

You have asked many times, in different discussions, about how the system defines a "unique user." I don't think there's anything new to add to the answers you've already gotten. The simple answer is that the program defines a unique user in a variety of ways--the methodology can vary depending on circumstances. There is no single process.

2, Yes, the frequency report should show 1 if you set up the campaign and capping guides correctly.

3. The program will do its best to deliver 1:1.

4. Yes.

The overall answer is that the program does its best to deliver your ads according to the parameters you set for them. 100% accuracy in all situations is not possible, but AdWords gets very close. Common sense tells us that there are always going to be outliers--unusual situations where things don't turn out precisely the way we anticipated.

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you for answering.

I suppose if this is the case then I don't need to worry about also excluding the audience with "all visitors" from the last 30 days to decrease the number of "Returning visitors" in this campaign.

Regarding "You have asked many times, in different discussions, about how the system defines a "unique user." I don't think there's anything new to add to the answers you've already gotten." 

I have only asked once here about the "unique user" in the context of frequency capping and in another topic I opened about the unique users in the context of "remarketing in search audiences" , which are 2 very different situations. Asking 2 times in different contexts is not "many times" .

Here is what the forum search engine returns when seeking the phrase "unique user" with me as an author .... 1 message, this message 

https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/forums/searchpage/tab/message?q=unique+user&phrase=unique+us...