AdWords
4.9K members online now
4.9K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

First Click or Last Click - Conversion Tracking

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

This is an old question, and I'm finding conflicting answers, so I'm looking for some clarification as to whether anything has changed. With AdWords conversion tracking, if someone clicks an ad twice and completes a conversion after the second click, which click gets credited with the conversion? It used to be that the first click was credited with a conversion. But it seems like the help center is implying that the last click gets the conversion. Has this changed since search funnels were introduced - is the last click now credited with the conversion?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: First Click or Last Click - Conversion Tracking

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello sloszewski;

This article you are referring to, was updated on April 9 2012, so, it should be correct.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
it doesn't explicitly state that the last click is attributed the conversion. it just seems to imply. so I want to be sure, and also some kind of acknowledgement that there was a change here, if it did change, because conversion tracking has always been first click attribution. A date when it changed would also be nice (once again, if it did change).
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Karl (Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆)
September 2015

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi sloszewski,

It's the last click that counts and there haven't been any significant changes in the tracking system recently.

The same link you shared also has some information on search funnels, I suggest checking that out as well, there you will see exactly which ads people have seen/clicked before converting and at the end of the day that's what matters. Think of this as a ball game where the first click is the assist and the last click that leads to the conversion is the score. If you now take either one of these keywords out, the conversion will probably not happen, just like you wouldn't score if you take the assist or the final shoot away.

Hope this helps!
Karl

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Karl. I understand that the last click gets attributed the conversion. I'm sort of old at this, so my information goes back years. I think it used to be that if somebody clicked on an ad for keyword1, then came back by clicking on an ad for keyword2 within 30 days, the conversion got assigned to keyword1. Was that never the case? I mean there are references around the web that this was the case. Here's an example:

http://forums.searchenginewatch.com/showthread.php?t=23958

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

OHHH; sloszewski had a follow up question I missed...Smiley Embarassed

@Karl; Thanks for answering

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have the same memory of the conversion attribution as sloszewski.  I would also like to know when that changed and if we can be pretty confident that it is the last click that gets 'credit' for the conversion.  Its a pretty big difference when optimizing certain accounts.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I remember what sloszewski and SiteProPPC remember: Adwords was a 1st click win years ago...

MK
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
MK
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for the explanation, does this also mean that if someone visited my website clicking a search ad, but didn't sign up on the first day, instead goes back and come back as a direct hit or an organic visit, then would he be attributed as Paid (first click) or Organic (last click) ?

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi MK,
If the user comes back direct, the conversion will be atributed to CPC. If the user comes back through an organic search, he will be attributed to CPC in AdWords, but in Analytis, the user will be attributed to Organic.