AdWords
4.8K members online now
4.8K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Final URLs question variable question

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am in the process of migrating over to Final URLs in my ads, however I am not sure if there is a way to add custom variables to my URL without losing my ad history.

Scenario:

1. I was linking to landingpage.com using Destination URL function

2. I want to upgrade to Final URL functionality and also add the variable "?cid=12345" to the end of the url.... so when a user clicks the ad, they will be lead to "landingpage.com?cid=12345"

I am not using a 3rd party tracker on this so its all using the same root domain - there are no redirects....I just need to pass some variables from the URL to my landing page. The variables i put after cid= will be static, for all my ads. 

Is there a way to do this without losing my ad history? I thought this was the benefit of upgrading to Final URL functionality, however I cannot figure out how to do my specific situation.

Please let me know if you have any suggestions.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Final URLs question variable question

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @M-FIT,

Welcome to AdWords Community.

As indicated you have not been using any tracking with your URLs. But now you would like to use a tracking template with your Final URL. In this case, there's no way to save your ads' stats. 

If you want to add or remove tracking to your URLs during the upgrade, it will reset performance statistics. But that should not be a problem. If that tracking is actually required and important to me, I will take the pain of losing the statistics. It will be one time loss but a future proof approach where any further change to tracking will not resent my stats.

My two cents. 

Thanks
Ratan Jha

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
so i would setup my "tracking template" as my url: "landingpage.com" correct?

If so, then how do I handle the custom variables...

As indicated, i would like to make my URL be:
landingpage.com?cid=12345

However is there a way to set it up where I can change the variables "12345" to something different on a particular ad variation in the future without having to reset my ad stats for that ad?

Your help is much appreciated!

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi @M-FIT,

Your setup should be -

Final URL = yourlandingpage.com/

Tracking Template = {lpurl}?cid=12345

On this setup, if someone clicks your ads, they will be taken to http://yourlandingpage.com/?cid=12345

Now, if you would like to use any custom parameter in future, you will simply need to include it in the tracking template. Any such future update will not reset your performance history. 

Thanks
Ratan Jha

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks a ton for this Ratan - One more question as I think you may be wrong about needing to reset stats.

Couldnt i just update the tracking template URL from the campaign level (after I already upgraded to final URL function), and it wont lose ad history? I believe I read if you update the tracking template or variable from anywhere other than the ad level, it will not reset history. Let me know if I'm missing something, just so I'm sure.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

@M-FIT,

What I said is - if you use tracking template at ad level during the upgrade (assuming there was no tracking before), it will reset your data. 

You are right that once the ads have been upgraded copying the exact destination URL to Final URL, and then you go ahead to use Shared Tracking Templates at upper levels, it won't reset history. 

Hope it helps. 

Thanks
Ratan Jha

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi M-Fit,

As Ratan rightly pointed, there is a way to upgrade your url and add your variable "?cid=12345" without losing your past performance.

You only need to do auto upgrade and ad tracking parameter at account level.

Thanks
Rajesh