AdWords
1.7K members online now
1.7K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Expanded text ads: Are Users Bypassing the ad?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey All.  We are testing the new ETA ads and I heard in a webinar that users may be bypassing the ad and typing in the Display URL.  With paths in the display URL, users would not be directed to the landing page dedicated to the ad, but most likely a home page etc.  

1) Is this a concern with enough significance?

2) Is this happening more with ETA ads

3) Does anyone have data with actual statistics?

Thanks!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

I've not heard anything about this and my first question would have to be... Why would someone type in the url when they can simply click on the ad??

It doesn't make sense - which webinar was this, and what are they trying to sell you?

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Christine G
November 2016

Badged Google Partner
# 3
Badged Google Partner

1: No

2: No

3: No

Honestly, I will do this if I am conducting research into competitors so I don't cost them any money. Even if they are a competitor, I still have ethics. Smiley Happy I can barely get my friends to open new tabs over hitting the back button, and I just don't see why any volume of average users would take extra steps to get to the same place. There may be some volume of users don't "trust" ads, and prefer organic links... But, there are plenty of "brand lift" studies that produce real evidence that ad impressions still influences those users decision as to which organic links to click.

If you are worried about "landing pages", then that's another reason to keep all your content on one domain, and not to fall for these sub-domain/landing page scams. Smiley Happy

@stickleback hit the nail on the head. Someone is trying to peddle lies and sell you something you don't want or need.

Tom

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

This was the first time I had heard of this, but yes it was a webinar to push a tool, I won't say which one because I don't remember if it was part of the speaker's presentation or if it was a silly participant question at the end.

Thanks all!