AdWords
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Excel file is classifying my results as "Broad" match

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I understand that the new keyword planner defaults to "exact" match keywords, but when I download the results of my searches for ideas, the excel file classifies all my results as "broad."  Are the results indeed "Broad," or are they "Exact" as the I've been led to believe?

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Joe S
September 2015

Re: Excel file is classifying my results as "Broad" match

Top Contributor Alumni
# 2
Top Contributor Alumni

Hey Joe Smiley Happy

The thing is, you can always change the match type in keyword planner. Once you've selected the desired keywords and are ready for the estimates, you can edit your match type as shown in the screenshot below:planner match types.JPG

Once you download the estimates in .csv file for Excel, you can see a column indicating which match type you downloaded. The system doesn't ad brackets or quotation marks, but that doesn't mean the estimates aren't showing one match or another.

milda prušinskaitė

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Google Employee
# 3
Google Employee

Hi Joe,

Thank you for your posting. Regarding your question you are correct, the new keyword planner by default does exact match. If your not familiar with the keyword planner, please use the following Adwords support link for a description of its features. 

There is also a great community thread that discusses your question here.  I hope this information is helpful!

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

The default "appearance" of words is simple broad and the numbers represent exact match traffic estimates. A tricky thing for a normal user since he/she expects to add the simple broad to the account and get that low traffic from the estimates. There is a surprise around the corner, the traffic for the simple broad keywords are usually 3-4 times higher than the traffic for exact matches.

To view numbers of estimates (traffic) for different match types than Exact Match, select some keywords and click on the "review estimates" button from the lower right corner. In here select" keywords" and change the match type. This way you can see for the same keyword the estimated traffic for all the match types.

These are the steps I use to view different match type estimates for traffic :

https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Set-up-and-basics/Adwords-Keyword-Planner-Match-Types/m-p/19...

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks so much. That clears up my answer. I also noticed that for "general" searching, the results don't change even after modifying the match except for cpc purposes. Search volume did not change.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks John Paul!! I appreciate you adding the other thread for me to further read on this subject.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you Adrian B. I understand the premise now.

Google Employee
# 8
Google Employee
Hi Joe,

Your welcome! And thanks to Adrian for the additional info.