AdWords
2.4K members online now
2.4K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Evaluating Adword Keywords

Not applicable
# 1
Not applicable

Hi Everyone, new here;

So I've created my first test campaign, think it's much easier learning by actually carrying out an action;

So now I can see some stats for the campaign and keywords, but wondered or am looking for some information on how to best evaluate the keywords and which keywords are working best or better value compared to others, are there certain things I should be looking for/at?

For instance one keyword has a CTR of 20% but only served  5 times, is this good or bad?

Also, as selling a service whats the best way to set up conversion tracking in your opinion? Could it be as simple as a click through or an email or form submission, and is there anything wrong with creating landing pages specifically for the ads?

Thanks for your help and advice

Darren

3 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by ShashankSingh (Rising Star)
September 2016

Re: Evaluating Adword Keywords

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Hi @Jon_Gritton,

Some really good points of view against Landing pages.. but I don't totally agree when you say that having a landing page says that the content on my site is not relevant or good enough.
When someone comes to your homepage (lets consider a services industry site), they are looking to learn more about your company. Where a website works beautifully. There is a thought process and a story to every website that unveils itself as the user navigates along the site.

When a user is searching for a particular service, he wants to know about the service 1st then the company. The flow changes because the users mindset is different. I understand that the website would probably have content related to the service, but may not be all on 1 page.
The other POV that we had tested out for one of our clients is that people are in different phases of the buying cycle and they need to be spoken to differently to sell them a service. The main content can be the same but the approach to the 'sell' maybe a bit different. We actually made multiple landing pages for this client for a single service. The body content remained the same but the hero content(header image, headline etc.) depended on the kind of queries that the user searched for basis the mindset and the intent of the users. We actually saw an increase in conversion rates on the page.

Besides all of this, we also worked on improving the website and we had great conversion rates from there as well (for organic & paid traffic). We then thought that we should do a LP vs a website test and pushed our ad traffic to the appropriate pages on the website.... the conversion rates on the website were extremely low as compared to the LP.
We also did an A/B for internal pages vs the website for queries falling under different phases of the buying cycle. and that didn't do well either. That's when we realized that having landing pages helped since the content(header image, headline, order of content modules) had been tweaked to adjust to the users immediate needs.

For example...someone searching for 'open a trading account' vs someone searching for 'mobile trading account'.. on the website, you would have only 1 page talking about a trading account.... if you had different LPs, you could tweak the content to talk about steps to open trading account & benefits of trading account to person 1. vs . device compatibility or ease of access via an app for trading etc to person2.
You cannot have this completely laid out on a website since it would lead to duplicate content and honestly wouldn't make sense.
1 point to note is that all landing pages should be very very consistent in their Brand assets - meaning.. fonts, colors, imagery etc.. so the users never feel lost on the page.

So I agree when you say that its not the way to go always... but when we dig deeper, we always find that segmented communication is always better for conversion rates. drawback is... its not very scalable.

Just my point of view from my experiences.. would love to hear your thoughts on this. Smiley Happy 

Cheers,
Shweta

AdWords Top Contributor
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Accepted Solution’!

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Darren,

While evaluating performance of a keyword, the 1st rule that I would follow is wait till you see a statistically significant number to prove that a keyword is performing or not. if you have only 5 impressions and a 20% CTR, thats a good sign.. but that cannot help you evaluate a keywords performance. I would hold off deciding the fate of that keyword till I saw a significant number of clicks and impressions.

Conversions should be tracking any event that is important to you. It could be anything from views of an impotant page to a newsletter signup, to an actual purchase. In your case it looks like you should track a form submission/enquiry form submit as a conversion.

For services, its okay to have landing pages for ads. Landing pages should be created to give a 1 page view to the users clicking through to your page. It should be more concise but contain everything about the service that a user would want to know before converting. It should thus be more conversion focused. If you are selling a service/product which is expensive and that would hence require more research by the user before making a purchase, you may want to think about sending them to the website where they can have more information or a micro site with a more channelized conversion path but more information.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
Shweta

AdWords Top Contributor
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Accepted Solution’!

Not applicable
# 3
Not applicable
Hi Shweta

That does help thank you :-)
Just a few things that have sprung to mind, a click through will be good enough tracking for now, but think I'll create a tailored landing page for an advert focusing on a signup form etc, would you apply a nofollow to these bespoke landing pages? any thoughts?

Thanks again
Darren

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Darren,

A CTR is not essentially a good enough tracking. I would def recommend tracking a form submit.
Bespoke landing pages is a good decision, but could you clarify what you mean by 'nofollow'
Cheers,
Shweta

AdWords Top Contributor

Not applicable
# 5
Not applicable
Hi Shweta

Yeah I think I'll do a submit form, is there a way to track that from an ad? I mean is it best practice to to have these bespoke landing pages not indexed so search engines don't index them?

Thanks again
Darren

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Hi Darren,

If the content on the bespoke landing pages is same as of the main website, then you can use nofollow, noindex.

Also, CTR is the major factor that affects the QS but still the goal is not CTR. Focus on conversion oriented keywords more.
A keyword with QS-8 and costing $50 without any conversion is of no use but a keyword with QS-4 and costing $50 & 2 conversion does really worth.

Regards
Archit, AdWords Top Contributor, Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
Hey Darren,

Doing a nofollow is not a must. If you are doing SEO for your website and the landing pages are ranking instead or if you are duplicating your content, then you may want to use nofollow.

and Yes, there is a way to track conversions(form submissions). Heres a link that will give you step by step instructions for setting up a conversion tracking code on your thankyou pages:
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/6095821?hl=en&ref_topic=3165803

Cheers,
Shweta

AdWords Top Contributor

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Hi  Darren, to add to the excellent advice already given by @ShroffS, just a word on bespoke landing pages.

Bespoke pages for Ads were all the rage for a while, but personally I'm not sure they're all that necessary, or even advisable.  If you use a specific landing page for an Ad and not (easily) reached by navigation from the site, what you're effectively saying is "the content of my site isn't good enough for a landing page", or "the content of my site is not relevant to my Ads" (or both).  In any case, the solution would be to fix the content of your site, which will help with both paid and organic visitors, rather than having a bespoke page out on its own.  If the content of the landing page is relevant and high quality, why wouldn't you want that indexed by Google?

You also have to consider user experience.  If you have a bespoke landing page for your Ad(s), which a non-Ad visitor won't see, you run the risk of providing a confusing user experience.  "Hey, where's that page I saw last time I came here?".  

I think these are two good arguments against using bespoke pages...

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by ShashankSingh (Rising Star)
September 2016

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Hi @Jon_Gritton,

Some really good points of view against Landing pages.. but I don't totally agree when you say that having a landing page says that the content on my site is not relevant or good enough.
When someone comes to your homepage (lets consider a services industry site), they are looking to learn more about your company. Where a website works beautifully. There is a thought process and a story to every website that unveils itself as the user navigates along the site.

When a user is searching for a particular service, he wants to know about the service 1st then the company. The flow changes because the users mindset is different. I understand that the website would probably have content related to the service, but may not be all on 1 page.
The other POV that we had tested out for one of our clients is that people are in different phases of the buying cycle and they need to be spoken to differently to sell them a service. The main content can be the same but the approach to the 'sell' maybe a bit different. We actually made multiple landing pages for this client for a single service. The body content remained the same but the hero content(header image, headline etc.) depended on the kind of queries that the user searched for basis the mindset and the intent of the users. We actually saw an increase in conversion rates on the page.

Besides all of this, we also worked on improving the website and we had great conversion rates from there as well (for organic & paid traffic). We then thought that we should do a LP vs a website test and pushed our ad traffic to the appropriate pages on the website.... the conversion rates on the website were extremely low as compared to the LP.
We also did an A/B for internal pages vs the website for queries falling under different phases of the buying cycle. and that didn't do well either. That's when we realized that having landing pages helped since the content(header image, headline, order of content modules) had been tweaked to adjust to the users immediate needs.

For example...someone searching for 'open a trading account' vs someone searching for 'mobile trading account'.. on the website, you would have only 1 page talking about a trading account.... if you had different LPs, you could tweak the content to talk about steps to open trading account & benefits of trading account to person 1. vs . device compatibility or ease of access via an app for trading etc to person2.
You cannot have this completely laid out on a website since it would lead to duplicate content and honestly wouldn't make sense.
1 point to note is that all landing pages should be very very consistent in their Brand assets - meaning.. fonts, colors, imagery etc.. so the users never feel lost on the page.

So I agree when you say that its not the way to go always... but when we dig deeper, we always find that segmented communication is always better for conversion rates. drawback is... its not very scalable.

Just my point of view from my experiences.. would love to hear your thoughts on this. Smiley Happy 

Cheers,
Shweta

AdWords Top Contributor

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

Hi @ShroffS I'm happy to agree that I've never seen a "one size fits all" solution for AdWords, so I can't say my feelings about bespoke pages are correct for all verticals and in some cases there may be a need. 

I think first we'd need to define what we mean by a "bespoke page".  For me, that's a page built specifically for AdWords, which is unreachable by normal navigation through the site.  If we're agreed on that definition, I still that's suggesting there is nowhere suitable on the main site to land Ads, which in turn makes me feel the site is lacking.  Yes, the path to purchase can contain many steps and the content displayed at those various steps may be different, but surely these steps apply to all potential customers, not just those coming from AdWords.  If you want to guide your visitors, surely the main site content should enable that, allowing it to affect not only AdWords customers but also organic, direct and referrals...

I'm also not certain that data on conversions can be relied upon to prove the worth of bespoke pages.  Doesn't such improvement in figures merely indicate that that particular content is better, not necessarily that it's better because it's a bespoke page?

J

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits