AdWords
3.8K members online now
3.8K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Estimated First Page and Estimated Top Page Bid

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi All,

I'd like some feedback/thoughts on the following senario of "Estimated First Page and Estimated Top Page Bid".

First off, I realize that these bids are just "estimates" so let's take that out of the puzzle.

Here's the facts of the senario:

1. Keyword Quality Score is 7/10

2. Keyword Estimated First Page Bid is $.30 whilest the Estimated Top Page Bid is $.50

3. Keyword Max CPC Bid is $.69

4. Keyword is triggered at a CPC of $.67 at Placement 1 (Top of Page)

Question/feedback/thoughts:  Do you or would you consider reducing the Max CPC so that it's in the $.30-$.50 range as it's likely to cost you less and still be on the first page somewhere??

Again, I realize that these $$ are only estimate but it should be close.

Thanks for any input.

RPquest

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Estimated First Page and Estimated Top Page Bid

Top Contributor Alumni
# 2
Top Contributor Alumni

HI

I believe there is no simple answer to this and everyone will have diffrent theories which have worked for them in the past.

If I was in your place I would start playing around with bids by setting increase as well as decrease bids in diffrent scenarios, While doing this I will make sure I dont loose position below a certain limit (like 3) which can be diffrent in your case, by setting rule for the same.

I think you should go through this article before you play around

http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2472779

Regards, Nik
LinkedIn  |   @nikhilparachure | My Blog

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hello;

I agree with theniks (Nik) on this;

I would try to "target "a bid that would put the ad "above the fold".

I am not a great fan of bidding high to get the ad always at the top 3 places (above the search results). My view, is that as long as the ad is above the fold - you are OK.

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor Alumni
# 4
Top Contributor Alumni

I'd have to agree with both of the previous replies as there are no 2 situations that are the same with AdWords.

As Moshe says, you want to be above the fold (take into consideration that there isn't always 3 ads sitting in the top spots) so you may want to have a lowest position of 5-6 (might be a map showing on top right as well). You'd need to test it for yourself.

I'd recommend a strategic reduction of your bids. Maybe drop them by 5-10% if you position is above X and do this gradually over time so you can see the effects it is having on your positioning and actual CPC's.

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

I think it rather comes down to a balance between cost per conversion and amount of conversions, and you get the most profit 

I´d rather get 1000 click at 10 cents each and 20 sales (2%) from which I get a revenue of 20 000 (20*1000) and make a net profit of 10 000

then

700 clicks at 7 cent each and 14 sales (2%) from which I get a revenue of 14 000 and make a net profit of 9 100 (14 000-4 900) 

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Thanks everyone for all of the input.

I'll check into the automated rules along with reducing my bids.

Thanks again!

RPquest