AdWords
6.5K members online now
6.5K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Est first / Top page bid thresholds

Not applicable
# 1
Not applicable

Hi,

Through extensive testing i have found the following results;

Est first page bid estimates are only recalculated by the adwords system when your Max CPC is set to a value very close to the estimated first page bid

Top page bid estimates are only recalculated by the adwords system when your Max CPC is set to a value very close to the estimated top page bid.

Firstly;

1) Why is there no mention of this in the adwords guides.

2) Why if your ads are eligable to be entered into the ad rank calculation are the above bids not recalculated on every page of the search results.

It seems advertisers who are not positioned at a minimum of the top of the second page will see no change in there est first or top page bid estimates!

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Est first / Top page bid thresholds

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi,

Although I'm not going to be testing this at all, I do have a few thoughts for you.  These are only bid estimates and IMO, have no way of taking into account all of the possible environmental factors involved in an actual ad auction, which is what really matters.  Setting your bids according to these estimates is in no way a guarantee of any particular ad position or performance.

If I had to guess, at best, the system takes a harder look at your actual current bid, current potential performance (or even actual performance) to determine these estimates and maybe that's why you're seeing the estimates changing at certain times or in line with certain account changes.

I would suggest you base your strategies on actual performance and not off estimates.  They are merely a guide to give you an idea of where your bids should probably be to achieve "First Page" or "Top of Page" ad positions.

-Tommy

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Re: Est first / Top page bid thresholds

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hello;
Google does not disclose the calculations of these estimates. My view is that this is a pure statistical calculation based on your campaign past performance  which has its margin of error. Sometimes the numbers are oureside the range,...
I rely on the raw data, given by the keyword planner,to get estimates for a  "first shot CPC"

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’