AdWords
2.8K members online now
2.8K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Est. First page bid - when a search query exactly matches your keyword

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I was trying to figure out why I am receiving lots of clicks for BMM keywords with a lot of traffic even if I am bidding below the "First page bid estimate". The clicks are not coming from the mobile segment or the "search partners" segment as I first suspected.

So I arrived at noticing that the Estimated First Page bid was probably lying to me all along when it comes to estimates for phrase and BMM keywords Smiley Happy 

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/105665?hl=en

This estimate approximates what cost-per-click (CPC) bid is needed for your ad to show on the first page when a search query exactly matches your keyword.

To me this phrase means if I am adding the keyword "red widgets" the "First page bid Estimate" is showing me how much I should bid only when the query is exactly red widgets , not red widgets price or other phrase match variation. The estimate is more innacurate for the BMM keywords when there can be hundreds of variations, each with their own "First page bid".

Am I right in my interpretation of this text ?

Could this be a reason why I see many clicks for BMM keywords when I use a bid below "First page bid estimate" ? 

Is the "First page bid estimate" reporting an accurate price  only for exact match keywords ?

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Adrian B
September 2015

Re: Est. First page bid - when a search query exactly matches your key

Community Manager
# 2
Community Manager

Hi Adrian B,

You are correct in the interpretation of the Help Center article. 

The First Page Bid is calculated based on the exact match keyword.  Although the keyword may not be meeting the FPB for the exact term, it could very well be showing on broad or phrase matches.  If the keyword is not exact match, this is most likely the explanation why impressions/clicks are still accruing even tho you are seeing "Below First Page Bid" in the status column. 

Kathleen

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you very much for the clarification.

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Another strange thing related to this "First page bid estimate" is that when I am bidding below it, I am getting impressions but the keyword diagnosis is acting as if the Ads will not make it to the first page of results ( this is from a BMM keyword) .

ads-not-showing.png

Shouldn't the explanation be "Although your ad is showing its rank is not high enough to place it on the first page of search results only for the exact variation" ?

The red text says the Ad is not showing the explanation says the Ad is showing. An amusing confusion Smiley Happy