AdWords
2K members online now
2K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Error with Tag Manager

Rising Star
# 1
Rising Star

Hi,

I have added tag manager code on the website but tag assistant shows following mistake - "HTTP response code indicates tag failed to fire: Status 404". What happened?

Cheers, 
Alexey

Cheers, Alexey
UAWC Agency
1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Error with Tag Manager

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
HI Alexey,

I think something went wrong with the implementation of the tags. Google advises: Remove the current snippet. Get the snippet again from the Google Tag Manager interface and make sure to paste it immediately after the opening <body> tag.

Was this the first time you have implemented? Did it run before?

Cheers,

Fenna

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star
Hi Fenna,

Thanks for your reply, yes I added code directly after opening <body> tag. http://gyazo.com/78b95199994a35703242083c94546566

I have added lot's of tags before but never faced this problem.
Cheers, Alexey
UAWC Agency

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I am experiencing the same issue. I have implemented many snippets in the same way without ever seeing this 404 error. It is directly after the opening <body> tag. I have even created a dummy html page with simply the following structure:

<html>

<body>

{gtm snippet}

</body>

</html>

And I am getting the same error. I have a feeling this is not implementation based and in fact might be a google server issue? Any likelihood of this in your guys' opinions?

-W

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I created a dummy tag, versioned and published it. For some reason this resolved the issue for me. If your container is empty, give that a go.

Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star
Hi Wayne, thanks for your answers. What do you mean by dummy tag in your last answer?
Cheers, Alexey
UAWC Agency

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
just a test tag. it doesnt even have to have any content in it. just create a new tag, choose custom html, enter http:///www.testtag.com/2222222222 (which is just a fake/dummy website), set it to fire on all pages... and then create a new version and publish the container.

that seems to hurry google's cache into recgonizing the container is active. refresh the page with the GTM snippet and it should no longer give you the 404 error.

delete the test tag and you're good to go.

Badged Google Partner
# 8
Badged Google Partner
I know several others have already assisted with your particular tag issue, but this might help going forward:

There's a great Chrome Extension called Tag Assistant (https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/tag-assistant-by-google/kejbdjndbnbjgmefkgdddjlbokphdefk?h... available for free.

It will help you validate not only Google Tag Manager tags, but Analytics, Floodlight, etc... as well as tags that fire from within Tag Manager.

Rising Star
# 9
Rising Star
Thanks Ryan, I am using Tag Assistant. Please look at my first message.

Wayne, I will test your solution next time. Sounds like an interesting idea. This time the problem was in code - developers entered a wrong code using other GTM-*******

Now everything is fine.
Cheers, Alexey
UAWC Agency

Error with Tag Manager

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have the same problem with my website www.com-4t.rs