AdWords
1.8K members online now
1.8K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Embedding a Google forwarding number into a website?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Tracking offline calls made after visiting a website is daunting. Adwords solved this issue by assigning a forwarding number to Call Extensions. Is there a way to do the same with a website? Does Google provide access to the call extension code for site embedding purposes?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Embedding a Google forwarding number into a website?

Top Contributor Alumni
# 2
Top Contributor Alumni

Good morning.

While I applaud your determination to track call conversions, I would suggest that you need to take the next step. Google's Forwarding numbers work well for generic call tracking but if you're serious about getting complete data, you need to use a call tracking service. Forwarding numbers provided by Google are not "owned" or even "leased" by your company--they are subject to change without notice. If you want accurate tracking, you want a phone number you have more control over--and a call tracking service can provide you with this kind of number.

The call tracking company will provide you with a "bank" of numbers you can use in your Call Extensions. You can choose to use a different number for each campaign, for each product type, or however you decide to make the split--getting into very granular tracking if you set it up correctly. You can log into your account on their website to see which numbers are getting calls--the good services even allow you to record and replay calls for training & monitoring purposes.

Then you use dynamic code on your website to check the origin of your visitor and if the referring URL contains a GCLID (indicating a paid search visitor), your website's code can change the phone number to display the appropriate (tracked) phone number. (Your website company should know how to do this.)

Hope that helps!

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Theresa.
I am actually aware of third party solutions, but wasn't sure if Google's solution could extend beyond the AdWords platform. I guess you think it doesn't.
Viken

Top Contributor Alumni
# 4
Top Contributor Alumni

Well, that's not the question you asked. Smiley Happy

If you'd asked that question, I'd have said, "Yes, it's feasible."  However, I still would have said that in my opinion, it's not advisable.  

If one of my clients wants to invest that kind of time and resources into call tracking, I want them to do it using phone numbers that I'm reasonably sure will still ring the phones in their offices in a week or a month.

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I follow you.
So now that we know it's also feasible to do it with Google, are there any resources that would instruct us how?

Thanks
Viken

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
For what ever reason, it was hard to find it, but here is everything you need to know:
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/6095883?hl=en&authuser=3