AdWords
3.6K members online now
3.6K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Dynamic tracking url

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello, 

I have a question regarding UTM parameter  tracking and using the keyword ( for which the ad showed ) to generate search query in URL tracking

example: 

www.domainname.com?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=CPC&utm_campaign=Real-Estate-indore&utm_term=Indore Properties&q=searchquery 

The URL should automatically search for the keyword clicked ..

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Dynamic tracking url

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Tarun,

Though, it is not possible to track the actual search terms your ad was clicked with, it is possible to track the keyword from your adgroup which triggered your ad for search query.

To do that, you can user {keyword} valuetrack. The best part is that it can be combined with UTM parameters. In your URL example, you can  use q={keyword}. It will dynamically populate your keywords which triggered ads. 

Search terms cannot be tracked because of privacy issues. 

Thanks
Ratan Jha

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for the reply.

I understand your concern. I will use valuetrack for the keyword tracking.. My website search engine has the parameter "q" as search parameter.. So What I actually need is :

Example: Say My ad was clicked and keyword " property in delhi " was triggered from the adgroup... I need the URL should have search query and triggered keyword should be searched in website search engine.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

@Tarun M,

I do understand what you mean to achieve. But it's practically not possible to track the 'search query' that the user entered in Google. It is not allowed by Google to be tracked. 

Hence, as an alternative, you can track the 'keyword' from your account which triggered your ad. You can still include this data in your URL and can make people land on a website with that keyword as the search query string for your website. 

Search Query and Keywords, yes they won't be the same. They would a relevance based on your campaigns' optimization status. 

For instance, if somebody searches ' buy property in delhi', your keyword which triggered this ad is 'property in delhi'. So even if you use this keyword as the query string with your URL, your traffic will land on a relevant search result page on the site. 

My two cents. 

Thanks
Ratan Jha

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I don't want to track search query.. I just want to track the keyword triggered and only want to display the page according to the triggered keyword.. So I will use q={keyword} in URL.. as "q" is my search parameter in wesbite..

Is it possible. and will it work ?

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi @Tarun M,

When you talk of possibility, yes it's possible. If you set up your URL with &q={keyword}, it will populate it dynamically with your keywords from the campaign. Something like &q=properties%20in%20delhi

If it can be interpreted by your website, it should work. Give it a try. 

All the best!

Thanks
Ratan Jha