AdWords
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Dynamic Responsive Ads and Tracking Templates

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have setup a remarketing campaign using dynamic responsive ads based on a product datafeed that I have uploaded to Adwords.

The datafeed includes the Final URL for each product, which is just the plain url for the relevant product page.

I want to use a tracking template with my feed. The template I want to use is similar to:

https://mydomain.com/adwords_click?url={escapedlpurl}

Having read various documents and guides on adwords I am still unclear on the following points:

1) Will the tracking template be applied to the Final URLs in my product feed? My testing so far suggests that it is not being applied.

2) If the tracking template is being applied then how can I test this? Using the tracking template test button when editing the dynamic responsive ad does not test the product feed url.

Screen Shot 2017-02-01 at 10.02.57.png

3) It is not clear how adwords handles ad clicks when a tracking template is used. Does adwords make two requests, the first one being to https://mydomain.com/adwords_click?url=[encoded_final_url] and then once adwords has completed this request it redirects the user to the plain Final URL in the product feed, or does it simply make one request to https://mydomain.com/adwords_click?url=[encoded_final_url] and it is the job of this page to then redirect to the appropriate final url?

4) Finally is it possible include a ValueTrack parameter in the tracking template for the amount paid for that specific click?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Matt

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
February 2017

Re: Dynamic Responsive Ads and Tracking Templates

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Matthew W

To your questions -

1). Will the tracking template be applied to the Final URLs in my product feed? My testing so far suggests that it is not being applied.

The tracking template gets applied to the Final URL of the ad. But in the context of Dynamic Ads, the Final URL that you see while setting up the tracking template and the Final URL which actually shows up for the product/page in the question when it is clicked is different.

Your template will get applied to the actual product URL, not the URL that you see in the interface, but you won't be able to test it from the interface. The test can be done only on the ad URL that you have set up in the AdWords interface.  

2). The above explanation answers your second question as well, doesn't it?

3). AdWords makes just one request, that is for the Final URL of the product/service in question. However, if you set the click behaviour to Ad URL,  the request is not made for dynamic product/service URL and the tracking template gets applied to the Final URL you see in the interface. 

Screen Shot 2017-02-02 at 12.53.01 PM.png

4). There's no ValueTrack for CPC at the moment. Fingers crossed if it becomes available in near future. 

Thanks
Ratan Jha
Join me on Google+   |   Twitter