AdWords
1.7K members online now
1.7K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Dynamic Remarketing setup

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I'm in the process of setting up Google Adwords Remarketing, specifically dynamic remarketing, the website is shop.lushfashionlounge.com/. I feel like I have everything in place. The Google Tag Assistant is saying "Request - Critical Issues" it has Status "Error", which doesn't tell me much. I have all of the javascript in place. does anyone have any troubleshooting tips, I have spent alot of time researching the help docs and walkthroughs.

adwords.png

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Dynamic Remarketing setup

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi,

I had a look at your website. I also encountered the same issue. Its just the false positive by Google. Don't need to worry really.

Wait for a week and see your dynamic remarketing list growing.

Siva.

Google Employee
# 3
Google Employee
I can confirm that your AdWords remarketing tag is indeed working fine.

The reason that you're seeing this somewhat misleading message is that your account passes parameters (ecomm_prodid, ecomm_pagetype, etc...) via the AdWords remarketing tag but uses GA-based lists, not the standard lists based on the AdWords remarketing tag.

Why are you mixing both? Normally, either you use the GA tag for everything (including passing the product ids, etc... as custom variables/dimensions: https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/3455600) or your use the AdWords remarketing tag for everything (https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/3122586?hl=en)

What you're doing should still work but it's a bit unorthodox.

If you want to simplify things, you can try creating a new campaign of type Display Network only > Remarketing with "Enable dynamic remarketing", normally it should create the standard set of lists based on the AdWords tag for you.
You can also decide to create them manually yourself in the Shared Library > Audiences with basic rules like "ecomm_pagetype = product" for product viewers or "ecomm_pagetype = cart" for cart abandoners.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for the in depth response. Its my first time to setup a remarketing campaign, dynaimica or not. I followed the instructions like you stated above when I first created this. ( Display Network only > Remarketing with "Enable dynamic remarketing") then it created the list in GA. is there something I need to remove in the code? are you saying that I can use only GA and remove the code that adwords gives me to add to my site?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
when I go to the "setup" under the "remarketing tag" window. it says "Your account has been set up to use the Google Analytics tracking code for remarketing."

Google Employee
# 6
Google Employee

It's better to chose between using the GA tag or the AdWords remarketing tag. Sofar you've done half of the work with the AdWords tag (passing parameters) and the other half with the GA tag (building lists).

Since the hardest part is passing parameters, I would try to complete the work with the AdWords tags and leave the GA-lists for now.

I'm not sure why the standard lists for the AdWords remarketing tag weren't created automatically for you when you created the campaign. If I were you, I would simply create them manually from Shared Library > Audiences. In the list creation editor, select the "+ Rule" link and set the rule "ecomm_pagetype equals product". Repeat the operation for all you pagetypes (category,product,home,cart,searchpage). After a few hours you should see your list sizes appear. You can then go in your ad group under the "Display Network" tab, under "Interests & remarketing" and replace your GA lists with these new lists.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for the help on this Maxime. it looks like they were created for me. Below is what i'm seeing in Adwords today.

active.png

lists.png

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
the screen shot of the lists has "Type" as "Automatically created - Google Analytics"

Dynamic Remarketing setup

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Please call the Google AdWords helpline and tell them that you need to set up Dynamic Remarketing using the Google AdWords Remarketing Tag: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1385067

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
@Maxime, Wouldn't ecomm_pagetype = cart be cart viewers, not abandoners. Do we need to also add ecomm_pagetype = purchase and then a combination rule?