AdWords
3K members online now
3K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Drop in conversion Rate

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Everybody,

My Campaign was running fine and converting a very formidable rate until last week and suddenly my conversion rates dropped.  There was no change what so ever that was made to the campaign  (keyword or Ad content etc) nor the landing pages. I run my campaign on a very tight per day budget and as alway the campaign reaches its daily budget. I checked the GA for answers all the keymetrics seemed to like always... bounce rates (52-55% as befeore), the visitor quality (from their search term) every thing seems like before. Please help. What could be wrong?

BR,

Shreedhar

Re: Drop in conversion Rate

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

How long has it been running at a good rate prior to this change in conversion rate?

Ryan.

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Ryan, you can really on chalk this up to a few things so I'm sure that with some troubleshooting you'll find the solution.

1) There is a tracking issue

Generally if I see a crazy drop in conversions out of nowhere the first place I look are my conversion codes. I'd take a peek into your Conversion tab and see when the last time each URL converted. I'd then go into each URL and make sure your code is installed correctly. 9 times out of 10 that'll solve it.

I'd also look at your CTR. If your CTR are the same and your bounce rate is the same then this is a strong case that it's a conversion tracking problem.

Clients will have IT departments that make changes without you knowing. A heads up to your client to get you notified when things change on the site is always worth it.

2) Audience behavior changed

This is the hard one to pinpoint if it's the culprit. 

a) Offsite behavior issues:

This would be the case if everyone suddenly hatted what you were selling or out of nowhere started using different search queries to find what you sell. Users could also be getting scooped up by a competitors marketing.  There are not likely scenarios but they can happen. If your CTR has dropped along with your conversion rates then you know your ads no longer apeal to your audience and this could be the problem.

b)Onsite behavior issues

If your CTR is still good and your tracking code is in place your problem could be in possible website redesign. We had a client not too long ago that made some serious home page changes and conversion rates plummeted. Brand CPAs went up over 100% almost overnight. Again, this is a great reason to make sure you're informed on all site changes

3) You did something to your account

The last scenario is that you really did do something that screwed up the account. I'd pull your change history report back a few days before the conversion rate drop and look at your optimizations. Try to tie in something you did with the issues. We've solved many problems this way. 

You could have messed things up unknowingly also by having cross pollinating broad match keywords in two different campaigns. One keyword's QS could have jumped and pulled in the traffic from the other keyword but now the traffic isn't aligned with the messaging you intended. It's a long shot that this would have as dramatic an impact as you described but it could happen.

Hope that helps!

Mark Jensen

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Mark,

You're absolutely right with those points.

Assuming what Shreedhar said was correct and no changes had been made to the account, there is another option which in my opinion is most likely. If Shreedhar had limited data then a change in conversion rate may not be an anomaly, just visitor behavoir which had not been seen before.

Shreedhar,

After reading all this you feel like none of these could cause your conversion rate drop off. Let us know and we'll be happy to help further.

Ryan.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Mark & Rayan,

First of all, thank you for your time writing in your views.

Quick details about the business itself: We are a tech start up, classified in to software industry and campaigns are for our SaaS web application targeting the Enterprise, Business clients. (B2E, B2E) clients. 

Changes that I checked up:

1. The campaign (Post new changes to Landing Pages and design) was converting at between 12-16%   for a period of 45 days I can say (9/58 PPC traffic for the month of Feb). Prior to the (above said Landing Page re-design) the conversion rates were betwen 2-5%. The redesign incuded complete redesigning of landing page with best practices in mind, needless to say I was happy with the changes made with conversion rate results.
  2. There was a domain changes made just before the conversion rates dropped. The traffic seems to redirect at .10secs to the landing page.
  3. Interesting observation: The form in the Landing pages are iFramed from the app side not sure if this setup can affect conversion rates..
  4. Since the conversion drop I can think of only change that were made to the landing page itself, having a Compare RoI (to open as a pop up), I am not sure if this change is confusing visitors for the action that they need to take.

On your views.

1) There is a tracking issue

Conversion for my business is a lead. I get notified through a auto generated email for any event of conversion. And since I have many data points including from within my webapp, I do not think this can be the issue.

2) 2) Audience behavior changed -   b)Onsite behavior issues

Yes, I can relate to your views on the possible changes to the Lp that I mentioned above and with the domain redirect.

Rayan, 

"If Shreedhar had limited data then a change in conversion rate may not be an anomaly, just visitor behavoir which had not been seen before.

This is interesting, provided the higher conversion rate duration was for only about  45 days" could you elaborate on this point you made:

Thanks once again.

Shreedhar

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I'll reply to this later this evening when I egt home in more detail.

Briefly about that comment though, I was just checking that you hadn't seen a change in conversion rate after a handful of clicks. I was making sure that you had enough data to say for sure that the conversion rates had changed.

I will go through your most recent reply later and see if there's any help I can provide. For the time being I am getting my bits together as it's the end of the day.

Speak later.

Ryan.