AdWords
4.9K members online now
4.9K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Drastic change in Bounce Rate

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi All,

I use many platform for advertising. From past 2 to 3 days I am seeing the bounce rate has been decreased more than 50%. Before it was like approx 48%(from 5 -6 months) but now its around 18 to 19%. Same no. of clicks, impressions, cost, CPS, conversions and all other metrices. 

But we haven't made any major changes in website (in terms of UI).  Dip in bounce rate are reflected in every platform (check through Google Analytics). 

Does Google analytics has changed the way to calculate the bounce rate or the google analytics reports are wrong? I have no idea how this is happening. Any suggestions or idea how to check why this is happening will be very helpful. 

Thanks and Regards

Neeraj

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Drastic change in Bounce Rate

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi there,

Well, this is a nice 'problem' to have, as long as it's real stats and not a glitch.

To check that it's not a glitch, can you look for other comparable differences such as avg. time on site, pages viewed per visit, and conversion rate changing by any drastic measure? You would imagine if the bounce rate has halved pretty much, that these supporting stats would increase.

Are you sure you haven't recently switched off a particularly broad PPC campaign that was getting a lot of bounces before, and replaced it with something more relevant?

Interested to see what more you can find out.
Jack Porter-Smith
Jack's G+

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Jack,

Thanks for replying. I have attached some screenshots. But it dont show any big changes except the visits, that was because we did a sale on that day and increased the budget. but budget should not have any affect on bounce rate I think.

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

Regards,

Neeraj

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
That's really odd. And how about your conversion rate?

You're right that budget should not affect bounce rate really, but did the landing page and offering change?
Jack Porter-Smith
Jack's G+

si

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Landing pages remains the same for every adgroups. Just changed the Description Line 1. Regarding Conv rate? Same as always. 

.4.JPG

I am still very confused. Checked every campaign, its avg duration time, page/views. Still same as always. The best I can say is Google has changed its way to calculate Bounce Rate. But why I am only seeing this change. But this answer I can't give it to my BOSS. Smiley Happy

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi,

This seems a strange one, so I thought I'd try and help if I can. Can I ask, within the few developments you've made (or even as part of your offer), have you added any popup functionality, and added Event Tracking? Or, add event tracking to anything on the landing page around that time?

If you've added a button of any sort that the user can interact with without being taken to a new page, and are tracking it as an event, a person visiting the page and clicking the button will be classed as 0% bounce. e.g.

- If I visit the page, do nothing, then leave I will be recorded as 100% bounce.

- If I visit the page, hit a button that triggers event tracking (but don't visit another page), then I will be recorded as 0% bounce.

Could itbe something like this that's causing the difference?

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author neerajkv30
September 2015

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Spoke to Google Rep. There was some issue in Google analytics account which was showing wrong data. The problem is solved. Bounce rate is fine now near 40% - 48%.

Thanks Jack and Brian for helping.

Regards,
Neeraj

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Same thing has happened to my account.

IS this a bigger issue with Google Analytics bounce data?

Drastic change in Bounce Rate

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi! Can you tell exactly what was the problem? Because I have similar problem (decrease from 68% to 1%) and it is too nice to be true. Thanks,

Oana