AdWords
4.1K members online now
4.1K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Does the {keyword} parameter not work any more when using ValueTrack?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi all,

We've recently updated our tracking URL's to adhere to the Final URL fields that have replaced Destination URL's and wondered if someone could shed any light on an issue we've encountered.

Our URL's use the following tracking template:

{lpurl}?utm_source=google&utm_medium=ppc&utm_term={keyword}&ad={creative}&matchtype={matchtype}&adposition={adposition}&gl={_gl}&utm_nooverride=1

And also the following custom parameter:

{_gl} = "12345"

When looking in Google Analytics, and accessing the keyword dimension, the only thing showing up is {keyword} and not the actual keywords that have been clicked. So for some reason they're not being pulled through and substituted so that analytics can register them.

I have a feeling that this is to do with the (not provided) SSL privacy issue from way back, but I just wanted to make sure before applying the code to all of our accounts.

In addition, where on earth in Google Analytics can you view the custom parameters that have been set? In this case, where would we look in Google Analytics to find the custom parameter "gl"

Thanks for your help!

Nick

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Does the {keyword} parameter not work any more when using ValueTra

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hi Nick,

Welcome to the community!

As for your question on the Keyword parameter, yes, since the privacy update was released by Google, Keyword values have not been accessible in GA. This I suppose happened approximately 1.5 years ago ( don't quote me on this).

As for the custom parameter reporting in GA, let me get back to you in sometime. It's been a while since I used GA for reporting custom parameter numbers.

Hope this Helps!

Cheers!

Shashank
Cheers,
Shashank Singh, AdWords Rising Star |
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please hit "Like" or "Accept as Solution"

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Nick, are you using Auto Tagging as well? If so, switch it off. Using both auto and manual tagging at the same creates problems. 

Thanks
Ratan Jha

About Me: Community Profile | Ratan Jha INC.
If this or any other post solved your question, do not hesitate to accept it as the solution.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
I thought as much, and thanks for the lovely welcome Shashank!

Yes if you could let me know where the custom parameters get reported that would be great.

Many thanks!

Nick

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Thanks Ratan,

Yes we have auto-tagging turned off, the only reason I've revisited our tracking is the recent Final URL update, was all working fine previously.

Thanks for your response,

Nick

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Sorry Shashank,

Is there any point including the {keyword} param then? I mean if it doesn't report anything I don't see the need.

Nick