AdWords
5K members online now
5K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Does GAW request ad URL if Call Extension 855 number called?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We track inbound traffic from Google and I see a lot of Google IP's sending information through like creative, keyword and so on but NONE of these interact with the site.

The amount of traffic from this approximates the amount of calls on the Google assigned call extension number. I am wondering if they are simulating a click on the ad when a call is made to send this data to us. 

Does anybody know the answer to this?

If yes, is there any kind of insertion I can use to segregate the traffic?

2 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Craig B (Google Employee)
September 2015

Re: Does GAW request ad URL if Call Extension 855 number called?

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee
Hello Ryan,

My name is Craig from Google AdWords and I am happy to shed some light on whether Google requests an ad URL if the 855 call extension number is clicked. The short answer is no, we do not redirect clicks on Call Extensions through an ad URL as a simulated click to your site which would track as inbound traffic that sends data to you as we are directly taking the user to the dialer window.

In order for Google to associate the click when someone engaged with the click-to-call button to the correct account, there is a request on the backend which is made to Google's server but this is not inbound traffic coming to your site. In your scenario, you may be impacted by Google Crawlers. Take a look at the following list to see which robots Google uses to crawl the web:

https://support.google.com/webmasters/answer/1061943?hl=en

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to reach out!

Best,

Craig

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

@Craig 

A follow up:

If the user  clicks on the call button, and  after finishing the call click on the ad (to visit the site)  - wouldn't  that be registered as a "regular ad-click", and can explain the scenario of  this case?

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Google Employee
# 4
Google Employee
Hi MosheTLV,

That is correct. If the user clicks the call button and after completing the call decides to click on the ad to take a look at the site as well, that would register as a regular ad click. If the user only visits the home page and then exits and you are measuring interaction with the site based on avg. visit duration, we will only track users who have visited more than one page for this metric which could also be an explanation.

Best,

Craig