AdWords
5.3K members online now
5.3K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Do enhanced campaigns send sitelink data to Google Analytics?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

On the following Google AdWords support page it states "Autotagging your links will result in your landing page URLs being recorded with the additional sitelink parameter."

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2375416

I took this to mean that it's *now* possible to find individual sitelink performance data in Google Analytics (GA) without manually tagging (in AdWords) the sitelink destination URL.

However...

I cannot find any evidence that this is happening in my GA. The above page further states:

"This means it will appear as a separate entry in your Top Content reports as well as be available for you in the AdWords section of Traffic Sources. You can also analyze the performance of this landing page URL in your AdWords campaigns. Use the secondary dimension to see which ad text and landing page (sitelink) combination works best."

1. I'm assuming the Top Content report above is the new Behavior > Site Content > All Pages report?
  2. If so, what is the "additional sitelink parameter" that I should be looking for?
  3. To analyze the performance of this landing page URL in my AdWords campaigns do I go to Acquisition > AdWords > Campaigns?
  4. If so, I do not show "Landing Page (Sitelink)" in the secondary dimension choices.

Am I not seeing evidence of this because

a) The above article is inaccurate, or

b) Because I'm looking in the wrong place?

Any insights are greatly appreciated! Thanks!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Do enhanced campaigns send sitelink data to Google Analytics?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi, Nobody knows the answer to this? Does anyone else show their enhanced campaigns URL's showing in their content reports with a different parameter?

Google Employee
# 3
Google Employee
Hi Coterie,

Sorry for the late reply. I've reached out to our support team on your question since I could not immediately find a definitive answer. As soon as I receive a response, I'll post it here. Thanks for your patience!

Google Employee
# 4
Google Employee
Hi Coterie,

Thanks for your continued patience. I did receive a response from my Adwords support team contact. He and and a Google Analytics expert could also not find it in Analytics. Additionally I can no longer find the link to the information you referenced. This leads me to believe that this feature is not active/live. For now, please continue "manually tagging (in AdWords) the sitelink destination URL" until Google Adwords and/or Analytics announces this feature is available.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks John Paul. The information is actually still there in that support page. It is under the section "Tracking in Google Analytics" and you have to hit the the + to drop it down and see the following text:

"Autotagging your links will result in your landing page URLs being recorded with the additional sitelink parameter.

This means it will appear as a separate entry in your Top Content reports as well as be available for you in the AdWords section of Traffic Sources.

You can also analyze the performance of this landing page URL in your AdWords campaigns. Use the secondary dimension to see which ad text and landing page (sitelink) combination works best.

Note: The Goal Set 1 tab is selected, however if Ecommerce Tracking is enabled on your site, you can see Revenue and Transaction figures." (https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2375416)

Thanks for contacting AdWords support on that. If you have a way to forward something over to the GA support team to let them know that this is non-functional perhaps that would help! Or let me know if you're aware of the best way to do so and I'm happy to.

Google Employee
# 6
Google Employee
Hi Coterie,

Oh thanks, I totally overlooked that section. I'm going to try to escalate this issue as a case. With the escalation, I'm hoping we can get an answer. If its because its a non-functioning feature, I can also assign it to be fixed. This may take several days but I should have an update for you.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
That's great to hear. It's hard to stay on top of all of GA's ongoing feature add's, but we've been adding sitelinks into a number of our campaigns, and I'd like to know the best way to track performance. Hate to go through the trouble of manually tagging them if there's already a way (or soon to be a way) through GA.

Will look forward to your update!

Google Employee
# 8
Google Employee
Coterie,

I just wanted to give you a brief update. I am in contact with the team who will be working on this issue. It's taking a bit longer than I first indicated but I will update you as soon as I hear of a resolution. Thanks for your patience!

Google Employee
# 9
Google Employee
Hi Coterie,

Have you received any of the messages from the Adwords Support team last week? If not, I am posting their answer to your original question:

Coming to your concern please know that auto-tagging tags all the visits of users who clicked on your ads on to any pages in your site.

When a user clicks on your ad and reaches your website the auto-tagging feature automatically adds the GCLID parameter to the destination URL of your ad which Analytics recognizes and attributes to a visit from Google/cpc ( ad).

The same is applicable to your site links. So if you are advertising your site abc.com which sells cars and has a sitelink which reads 'upcoming cars in 2013'. If someone were to click on your sitelink the user would be directed to the page say abc.com/upcoming-cars. This would be recognized by Analytics as a visit from the source Google/cpc and would also record the page /upcoming-cars in your all pages report.

Please make sure the Analytics code is implemented on all the pages of your website so that Analytics can track the visits to them.

Hope this clears the issue. If you are having any problems with viewing the pages your site links lead to in Analytics please provide me with your Analytics UA-ID, website URL and access to your Analytics account so that I can further troubleshoot the matter. To provide access please follow the steps given below:

In your Analytics account, click the Settings link at the top right.
Select the checkbox for Allow Google support to access my accounts when I report issues.
Click Save User Settings.

Please let us know if this information was helpful. Thanks!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks John Paul. I don't believe this actually addresses the issue but I'm going to read it more closely and also check my inbox for anything more specific. It appears that they're just saying that autotagging works no different than normal, whereas that help file seems to imply otherwise...

Will take a closer look and respond more specifically.

Oh and btw my name is Hope, never got the chance to mention!