AdWords
5.3K members online now
5.3K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Do I need a custom URL for each ad in an ad group (using URL builder)?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Do I need a custom URL for each ad in an ad group (using URL builder)? Or, is best practice to use the same custom URL for the three ads I have in the group?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Do I need a custom URL for each ad in an ad group (using URL build

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Damon,

If you're not adding anything special to your URL's, you can use auto-tagging to handle the passing of AdWords data into GA. I assume that if you're considering the URL builder that you want to pass data into GA.

I'm not so sure there is a best practice to what you're suggesting here - there are many approaches available and viable to choosing a destination URL for your ads.

Was there something specific you wanted to add using UTM tags?

-Tommy
Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Re: Do I need a custom URL for each ad in an ad group (using URL build

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for the quick replay. There isn't anything special really. I just want to make sure that I can see in GA when someone comes to my site via an ad. I would like to be able to see which campaign or ad and the path they follow through the site. Right now, in GAW my URL for the landing page is literally just the URL to that page. Nothing special. It sounds like that is sufficient?