AdWords
1.5K members online now
1.5K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Do 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 4000th, etc. Page impressions Count Toward CTR?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi all,

I'm fairly new to AdWords and I'm wondering if impressions in deep results pages count toward CTR.  For example, if the ad is relegated to the 5th results page and is never even seen, does it count as an impression?  Or does it only count as in impression if the consumer views that 5th page of results?

Looking forward to your answers,

-Mateo

1 Expert replyverified_user
3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: Do 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 4000th, etc. Page impressions Count Toward CTR?

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi

To answer your question in simple words, impression will not be counted unless the banner is loaded in the page. So if banner is on search page #5 and you only browse till 4th page no impression will be counted.

hope this helps

Regards, Nik
LinkedIn  |   @nikhilparachure | My Blog

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Yes - an impression is counted if the ad (text search ad or display image ad) is rendered on the page.

In the case of search results - if the user doesn't click through to the second page then the ad isn't rendered and there is no impression.

With display ads it's slightly different - and ad can be rendered but not visible - for being below the fold. Unless a user scrolls down the page the ad will not be seen - but there is an impression.

Just a couple of weeks ago Google announced that they are only going to start counting the impressions if the ad is actually seen - however, this was in reference to CPM billing... clearly it's unfair to charge for every thousand impressions if the ads are never actually seen - recent reports indicated that 31% of CPM ads were never actually seen.

I do not know if this will also apply to CPC calculations for CTR calculations although logic does suggest it should.

One thing I have started doing with my clients is excluding below the fold placements - although for CPC I'm not sure this is the right thing to be doing - the truth is I would probably value a visitor more if they were engaged with the placement site content to the point that they had scrolled down to read the content rather than the person who landed on the page and bounced off - but saw my ad... testing will tell.

So long as I am only paying for clicks this is not such a big issue - but it is a concern if I'm paying CPM and 31% of ads are never seen - good change by Google.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Mateo F
September 2015

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Great answer. Thanks Steve!

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi

To answer your question in simple words, impression will not be counted unless the banner is loaded in the page. So if banner is on search page #5 and you only browse till 4th page no impression will be counted.

hope this helps

Regards, Nik
LinkedIn  |   @nikhilparachure | My Blog

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
That does help. And it seems logical as well. So that I'm clear, you're using the example of a "banner," but your explanation extends to all ads; text and display, correct?
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Yes - an impression is counted if the ad (text search ad or display image ad) is rendered on the page.

In the case of search results - if the user doesn't click through to the second page then the ad isn't rendered and there is no impression.

With display ads it's slightly different - and ad can be rendered but not visible - for being below the fold. Unless a user scrolls down the page the ad will not be seen - but there is an impression.

Just a couple of weeks ago Google announced that they are only going to start counting the impressions if the ad is actually seen - however, this was in reference to CPM billing... clearly it's unfair to charge for every thousand impressions if the ads are never actually seen - recent reports indicated that 31% of CPM ads were never actually seen.

I do not know if this will also apply to CPC calculations for CTR calculations although logic does suggest it should.

One thing I have started doing with my clients is excluding below the fold placements - although for CPC I'm not sure this is the right thing to be doing - the truth is I would probably value a visitor more if they were engaged with the placement site content to the point that they had scrolled down to read the content rather than the person who landed on the page and bounced off - but saw my ad... testing will tell.

So long as I am only paying for clicks this is not such a big issue - but it is a concern if I'm paying CPM and 31% of ads are never seen - good change by Google.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Mateo F
September 2015

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Great answer. Thanks Steve!