AdWords
3.2K members online now
3.2K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Display Network Bids

Top Contributor
# 1
Top Contributor

Hello All,

Please share best practices on choosing Default Max. CPC & Display Network Max. CPC.

Thanks in Advance for your time!

Thanks,

Neha

Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’
3 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Alys (Google Employee)
September 2015

Re: Display Network Bids

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Neha,

Talking specifically about Google Display Network, Default Max. CPC is the bidding which you set when you don't want specific keywords/ Placements to have the separate bids in the respective ad group. So in that case, whatever the default max. CPC is, it will be for the whole ad group.

Display Network max. CPC is the maximum amount which you are willing to set for an ad group for the Display ads. So, in case you have the Default Max. CPC and Display Network Max. CPC as well for a campaign, your Display Network Max. CPC would be used to target ads on Google Display Network. But if you leave it blank (your Display Network Max. CPC), the default Max. CPC would be used based on the collective theme of the keywords which you tend target contextually in Google Display Network. It is important to understand here that for Google Display Network, individual keyword bids do not matter and rather the collective theme of your keywords is chosen to target ads based on ad group level bid.

According to me, first thing is to have a separate Google Search Network and Google Display Network Campaign. Now, when you create a separate Display Network campaign, it's always better to start including specific Display Network Max. CPC for the ad groups initially. 

Now once your campaign start accruing data (clicks, impressions, conversions etc..), you can analyze it in terms of progression as to how your ad groups are actually performing. In case, your ad group is not accruing many impressions, you might consider increasing the Display Network Max. CPC, so that your ads get eligible for the auction process more often and more users can see it.

After that, see the automatic placements where actually your ads have been showing and you might consider including some of the placements as managed placements. By doing this you can separately bid on these placements and will have more control in future.

Thanks!

Pankaj

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hello Pankaj,

Firstly, thanks a ton for a reply. 

I am having three seperate campaigns for search, Content txt and Content Banners. 

For banner campaign, i set both bids maximum cpc and display maximum cpc.

I prefer to keep Display Max. CPC higher then Maximum CPC for all the adgroups. Whats your take on this?

Thanks,

Neha

Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Alys (Google Employee)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Neha,

Banner or image ads tend to capture more space on Google Display Network sites as compared to your normal text ads when you target that network. So, following that you should have higher Display Network bids for your Banner/Image ads so that your ads are eligible to enter the auction process. Otherwise, you might see that banner/images ads do not get enough of the data for your strategic decisions.

You might also consider looking at this old thread.

Thanks!

Pankaj

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hello Pankaj,

Thanks Again.

I followed old thread link you attached with your response. My main concern was "bidding Strategy best practices" for display advertisement.

BTW Well Explained thread by you & Scott!

Thanks,

Neha

Hi

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

How come i'm not seeing my ads.

Re: Hi

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

IGNOR THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD

Answered in thread  # 48130 - somehow also merged into this thread

ddesouzadee wrote:

How come i'm not seeing my ads.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’