AdWords
5.9K members online now
5.9K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Display Ad Pausing

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

If display ads were paused, would traffic through social media channel increase or decrease?

2 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Bidof V
December 2015

Re: Display Ad Pausing

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Bidof
There is no direct link between the two. So your social traffic should neither increase or decrease. Unless of course you had tagged your links with a social UTM source parameter.

You might also consider that your display ads were providing some branding value. So people see your display ads and visit your social properties. This would increase your social traffic.

It's like saying, if I stop advertising in magazines, will my walk in traffic to my store decrease? The answer is yes if that's where people initially hear about your store and no if your store is located on a street with a lot of footfall traffic and the average customer doesn't read magazines.

It's really only a question that you can answer.

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star
Hi Bidof,

Though adwords display ads are shown on on the GDN and Social media channels have their own ads but if it is regarding the traffic then I must say yes it will decrease.

As GDN (including remarkeing) is the best platform for brand awareness. So what most of the people do if they see your ads on the GDN and find attractive or of their interest, they try to know more about your brand/ services and hence search on Google.
On searching about you, they might see your search ads as well as organic links and the organic links may include your social media pages. So in this way, display ads not only affect social media traffic but also your search paid traffic.

Regards
Archit, AdWords Rising Star, Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Dave, Thanks for the information. What happened was that; after pausing my display campaigns i discovered that the only channel affected was the social media. There was a drastic drop in social traffic and i now wondered if there is any relationship between display network and social media. Regards, -- Victor <edited by a Community Manager as noted below>

NOTE: This post has been edited by a Community Manager - per Community Posting Guidelines - in order to remove contact information which was most likely due to an email footer. Please be sure to remove this information in future replies via email.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Archit,

I really appreciate your explanation.

Cheers,

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Bidof V

There is not any connection between GDN and social channels in terms of Google Adwords campaign. if you count over all traffic from social channel, it should also be unchangeable because when you run display campaigns on Google adwords, your ads won't trigger in twitter or facebook.

There might be another reason if you see the traffic fluctuation from social channels. Google analytic can help you better.

Hope I helped you.

Thanks
Virendra