AdWords
5K members online now
5K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Discrepancy between Adwords results and Analytics

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We recently ran a display ad that has registered so far 508 clicks; whereas effectively we registered ONLY 91 sessions from this campaign on Google Analytics. What could be the reason for this discrepancy? 

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Discrepancy between Adwords results and Analytics

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Roger,

Check the information on the link below to know more about the difference between Clicks and Sessions.

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1034383?hl=en

But the discrepancy you mentioned here is huge! (508 vs 91).

Deepak

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Deepak,

Thank you for your reply. My concern is not the discrepancy itself, but the huge difference.

Do you think that customizing the URL of the ad by adding a UTM_source can be a cause of this huge discrepancy?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Roger,

It shouldn't be.

Have you checked the placements and devices from where you got the clicks?

If you have complete control over the Adwords and Analytics account, it will be better to link both accounts and enable auto tagging.

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
Hey Roger,

Everything Deepak has said is correct. I have a few more thoughts that I wanted to contribute. I was wondering where you are looking in Analytics to obtain AdWords data? If your AdWords/Analytics accounts aren't linked, the AdWords report within Google Analytics won't populate correctly. You can still pull in data through parameters, if you have them in place on every destination URL. You have to look at other reports, though. You can segment almost any report by source/medium and then filter for whatever you have used as source/medium in your Gclid parameters.

It can take Google Analytics some time to populate. They are doing some awesome real-time things and I still wouldn't expect the discrepancy that you are seeing but if your data is from yesterday or today, I would check back in a few days. (It sounds like it has been awhile since you ran the display ad, so that probably isn't the problem.)

If you aren't using auto-tagging, was your display ad maybe accidentally tagged as the wrong campaign in some ad groups? I've seen that happen before when a copy & paste solution went awry.

Last but not least, if you are using other tags for a different platform, it could be interfering with your tags in some cases.

Is it just the one campaign that isn't tracking correctly or is it across the board for your whole account?

Hope this helps, thanks for sharing!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hello Amy, Deepak,

Thank you both for your reply.

However, Adwords and Analytics accounts are linked and the auto-tagging is enabled.

The discrepancy can also be seen with the Facebook ads for the same account, that we also customized the link to be tracked on Analytics in the "Campaigns" section.

We ran some Google search ads for a different account, and the discrepancy was minimal, nothing to be worried about.

Thanks again for all your help.

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

Hmm... sounds like everything should be squared away. I have a couple more ideas.

How's your bounce rate and time on site look for the visits that are registering? I'm wondering if people are navigating away quickly, before the gclid has a chance to pass from AdWords to Analytics. This is especially possible for display campaigns. Are you showing on mobile apps? It's also possible that the code isn't always working on your pages.  If you have Chrome you can download the Google Debugger app to check the tags.

It could be that you are getting multiple clicks on your ads from the same visitor but this seems more likely from Facebook than GDN, though.  Since Google Analytics tracks sessions, it would be different than the number of clicks you had in AdWords.

My advice would be to reach out to support and see if they can help nail down the problem.