AdWords
5.9K members online now
5.9K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Discrepancy between Adwords and Analytics

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi All,

I know this has been a tried and tested topic over here but again the cases might differ from case to case.

Currently I have a ecommerce website which tracks the transactions( Configured in Analytics).

In Adwords, the following are the configurations for conversions.

Source : Analytics

Tracking Status: Recording Conversions

Conversion Window : 30 days

Count : Every

Include in Conversions : Yes

And all the conversions rate which has been reported in Analytics is high when compared to Adwords. 

Its not particularly high Some campaigns are reporting 105 transactions in Analytics wheras in Adwords its reporting 85. 

Is there any ways I could deep dive more and do a reconciliation. If I know that one particular campaign as above accounts for the maximum contribution for the difference, how do you go about it?

Regards

DJN

1 Expert replyverified_user

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Just checking - you are looking at the transaction figures in the AdWords section of Analytics, and not transactions from all sources?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Rob,

I have looked at Adwords section of Analytics only.

( Acqusition-> Adwords) data.

Regards

DJN

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi @Deepak J. I would experiment with segmenting your reporting to get that "deep dive" you mentioned. Have you tried downloading a report segmented by Conversion Name? Maybe that information would help you reconcile your reporting in Google Analytics by trying to isolate which conversion is reporting a wider variance? You can also segment by day, time of day, device and more. Hope this helps!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi @David F & @RobSkelton

Thanks for your suggestion and this is what exactly I have tried out and saw that in the current reporting period. I segmented it by Conversion name and except one campaign which reports around 9% variation rest all doesnt report too much variation. 

Any idea what could be the possible reasons for this. This is just the conversion numbers. So that I could test out each and give a possible explanation to my business. 

(Let me now try taking only that particular data and segmenting it by mobile)

Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star

AdWords reports a transaction on the day of the ad click.

Analytics reports it on the day of the transaction.

My best guess is that some purchases are occurring days or weeks after the ad click. If this is the case, you should see that most individual days are reporting the same, and a few are not.

In AdWords look at Tools > Attribution > Paths > Time Lag 

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

So let me give out a detailed analysis

I have pulled last 30 days(23rd April - 22nd May )

Overall there is a difference of 19% ( out of which 9%) is contributed by one campaign( Let me call it as Campaign A)

In terms of actual numbers Campaign A in GA reports 59 whereas Campaign A in Adwords reports 25. 

On further drilling I found that there is one ADGROUP under Campaign A which is causing the differnce with 36 transactions in GA but only 2 transactions in Adwords

Further drilling it down by Date, I found that in GA the campaign has been running for quite a while but in Adwords only 2 Dates( 17th and 18th of May has appeared). And its only Destkop and neither tablets or mobile has come up.

What can be the reasons attributed to this?

@RobSkelton @David F 

Rising Star
# 8
Rising Star

So, in Analytics > Acquisition > AdWords, you are seeing continual activity and transactions for Campaign A. But in AdWords, you are only seeing activity on 2 of the days?

Sounds like you need to change what you are viewing in AdWords to All Campaigns / All Ad Groups / All Keywords (do this in each of the respective tabs). And not All But Removed, or All Enabled.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks @RobSkelton for the update. Let me have a look at that.

On the top of that one more input.

Above campaigns( display) are for intended for Desktop. However in GA conversion are reported across all devices.  

However in Google Adwords there is an option of Include cross device conversion which is set to NO. 

Would this affect the numbers by any chance?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi @RobSkelton Still unable to sort out the drastic difference.

Typically how much is the percentage variation in an ideal scenario?