AdWords
4.8K members online now
4.8K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Discrepancies in GA conversions between AdWords and GA

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi guys

I am experiencing discrepancies in GA conversions between Adwords and GA. Conversions are imported from GA into Adwords, so there should not be any discrepancies. I have auto tagging enabled in AdWords, and there are no discrepancies in clicks or cost between Adwords and GA. 

Any suggestions on what might be the issue, and how to solve it?

4 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Discrepancies in GA conversions between AdWords and GA

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Andreas,

Can you elaborate on what discrepancies means in this case? Is it 1 off when looking at 10 conversions, 20 off when looking at 40? Also, what time frames are you looking at?

My hunch, without knowing more is that it could be conversion window time, import delays from GA or maybe even the settings you selected when importing your Goals into AdWords.

I'm not sure there is an easy answer here, you'll likely need to provide more info and do a little digging into your setup to find the answers.

-Tommy
Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for the swift reply!

I am seeing around 50-100% more transactions in GA, than in Adwords, independent of which time period I am looking at. So if I have 200 transactions in Adwords last month, I will see around 400 transactions in GA for the same account, for the same time period. I have tried last 30 days, last year etc.

I see this issue across accounts, for the same client.

Andreas

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hey Tommy!

I'm not sure it is affected by the time import delays. I went back to check data from older months just to be sure and the discrepancy still remains.
Just to give you a it more clarity here on what all has been checked - the profiles and tracking on GA is fine. The goals that we are importing into AdWords are correctly mapped to the accounts. The discrepancy in numbers is for individual campaigns as well.

Let me know if you need any more data on the account. Smiley Happy
Thanks for looking into this!
Cheers,
Shweta

AdWords Top Contributor
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Accepted Solution’!

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi Shweta & Andreas,

Well, unfortunately, I'm unlikely to be able to help a whole lot here.  I took a stab at some low level troubleshooting but it's clear to me now that you likely had that covered.

This is certainly something tricky going on here.  

Good Luck!

-Tommy

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Thanks for the help Tommy!
If you think of anything else please let me know!

Any Advise anyone?

@ScottyD@Eric Gehler@jackportersmith@MosheTLV , @Ratan-Jha@Theresa_Zook@pankaj1782@Jon_Gritton@AdWiser@Kim_Clink

Please let me know if you need more info on the account.

Cheers,
Shweta

AdWords Top Contributor
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Accepted Solution’!

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
Hello, Andreas.

Please keep in mind that even if you import Google Analytics conversions into AdWords, only AdWords-attributed conversions will be imported in AdWords. You cannot import each and every conversion into AdWords.

Also, please be aware of the difference between the timestamp assigned to each conversion by Google Analytics and AdWords. AdWords will assign the conversion to the date of the last AdWords click if the conversion occurs in 30 days or less from the last click date. Analytics, on the other hand, will assign it to the day when the conversion occurs. So, for instance, if I click on an ad today and return with a direct visit 40 days from now, Analytics will record an AdWords conversion, while AdWords will record nothing. If I return in 29 days, Analytics will record a conversion on that day, while AdWords will record it 29 days before.

Does the above info help in any way?
Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor
Hey Calin,

Is there anyway to verify this besides checking an older date range of data like I've mentioned above?
Cheers,
Shweta

AdWords Top Contributor

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor
Hello, Shweta. It's pretty hard to map each and every conversion, due to the differences that I outlined above, especially when you have many conversions.

I'm currently looking at a high traffic E-commerce account and even if I look at December data in Multi-Channel Funnels in Analytics and I set the lookback window to 30, just to match the AdWords cookie length, I still see a few more conversions in Analytics than I see in AdWords. Not many, but they do not reconcile. That's because I probably had a few november clicks which converted in December and they're probably reported in November in AdWords. But the difference is small.

January 2016 is, for a higher data volume, again, close, but not spot on. Still, only when comparing Multi-Channel Funnels data, because otherwise any non-direct, non-AdWords last click conversion will get assigned to the last click channel in Analytics and to AdWords in AdWords.

Here's how things work, straight from the horse's mouth: https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1034306?hl=en
Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

Hi @ShroffS as @AdWiser has said, it's very difficult to get into detail because of these differences, but you can get an idea of how likely this problem is by looking at your Search Funnels reports.  If you're seeing conversion paths that extend towards 30 days, it's quite likely you're getting conversions beyond 30 days which, as Calin said, GA is recording (as attributable to AdWords) but AdWords is not.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits