AdWords
4.7K members online now
4.7K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Discrepancies between dynamic remarketing clicks and GA sessions

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi guys,

I noticed big discrepancies in my dynamic remarketing campaign. In the last 10 days there has been recorded 714 clicks in Adwords but only 165 sessions in GA. And that is very big difference.

Where can be a problem?

Thanks

Lukas

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Discrepancies between dynamic remarketing clicks and GA sessions

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
1.) Some of the landing pages do not have Google Analytics
2.) Landing page redirection
3.) Auto tagging not enabled

These may be some of the problems.

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Lukas,

Does your website redirects on m.yourwebsite.com for mobile traffic? If yes, that's the reason you are facing this problem.
To reduce this difference, either you should create mobile preferred ads and in destination url use m.yourwebsite.com instead of yourwebsite.com or simply stop targeting mobile.

Thanks

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Rohit,

no it doesnt redirect it to mobile version (it doesnt have one). All other adwords campaigns (classic search) are fine (I mean there are small discrepancies but not this big) and also in my shopping ads are bigger discrepancies than usual.
I have dynamic remarketing campaigns in other accounts and there isnt this problem so I dont know.

Google Employee
# 5
Google Employee
Can you give more info about your remarketing campaign?
What's your website?
What vertical do you use (retail/Google Merchant Center or other verticals with Business Data)?
What kind of tracking do you use (click trackers, tracking parameters, in feed, in creative...)

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Maxime,

its retail through feed in google merchant center. It is a dynamic remarketing with banner created through ad builder in adwords interface.
And Im not sure if I understand your last question about kinds of tracking. I have autotagging enabled and I thought that is enough. Can you be please more specific about those kinds of tracking?

Thanks
Lukas

Google Employee
# 7
Google Employee
For dynamic remarketing campaigns tracking you have multiple options:
- Do you just use the "link" attribute from the merchant center feed? Is there a click tracker in that URL?
- Do you use the "display ads link" attribute in your merchant center feed
- Do you append tracking parameters or a click prefix from within your dynamic ads (see paragraph 2 in https://support.google.com/merchants/answer/6069348?hl=en)

I've seen cases where people use a click tracker which drops the gclid during the redirection.

In GA I would also check for strange patterns on the visits you get for your dynamic remarketing campaign:
- Do they come from all browsers?
- Do they come from both mobile and desktop?
- Is there a particular geographic distribution?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Maxime,

I think I found the problem. The problem is that we have 3 different feeds in our Merchant Center (those feeds are english/german/czech) and somehow my dynamic remarketing campaign takes data from all feeds, even when I target only Czech Republic. So in my dynamic ads are data from ENG/DE feeds and when someone click on this ad (url is with eng/de parameter) and he is redirected to czech version of website, so he landed on the right landing page but GA doesnt know the source because of the redirection.

I contacted google and they said that I should create custom label an do every feed give unique value CZ/ENG/DE and then filter it in Adwords in campaign setting.

But Im interested in this sentence of yours "I've seen cases where people use a click tracker which drops the gclid during the redirection."

It looks like there is another way how to track it and dont lose info about source in GA?

Can you please tell me more about it?
Thanks
Lukas