AdWords
2.5K members online now
2.5K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Discrepancies - AdWords Clicks vs. Analytics Visits

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I was hoping to get some solid answers on this topic.  We have been running video ads in the TrueView formats for some time, and have seen consistent discrepancies between AdWords clicks and Analytics visits.  We are seeing around half as many visits than clicks.  I have verified that my destination URL's are set up properly.

Also, the Analytics visits we are tracking are total visits, including visits from "direct/none" sources. We are not concerned with Analytics designating visits as a result of our ad clicks, but more concerned with total visits, which are still about half of the number of AdWords clicks we are seeing.

What could be causing this?

Re: Discrepancies - AdWords Clicks vs. Analytics Visits

Zee Community Manager
Community Manager
# 2
Zee Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Dacvid,

This is a very common question that users of both products ask.

There is usually roughly about a 10% difference between the clicks in AdWords and visits in Analytics. However, if you are looking at data for a historical date range (ie. data more than 24 hours old) then there should not be much more than a 10% difference. The basic difference is that the Clicks column in your reports indicates how many times your advertisements were clicked by visitors, while Visits indicates the number of unique sessions initiated by your visitors.

There are a number of possible explanations for these discrepancies such as; your AdWords and Analytics accounts are not linked, not having auto tagging turned on in your AdWords account, not having data sharing enabled etc.

If the large difference between the two metrics is ongoing then perhaps give the AdWords support team a call on our phone support number and one of our representatives will be more than happy to assist you!  

Best,

Note: Useful thread to read.

Zee
G+

Re: Discrepancies - AdWords Clicks vs. Analytics Visits

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We have been in touch with support and they have yet to find why our numbers would be off after weeks of research.  We do not have the ability to link our customers' Analytics to our AdWords due to the mass of accounts we handle, and as such have elected to use manual tagging rather than auto-tagging.  Even the few accounts we have linked show a consistently large amount of discrepancy.

Since we are looking for total visits in Analytics rather than Google CPC visits, I was operating under the assumption that these settings would not matter - if the page loads, a visit should be recorded.  (It is worth noting that our destination URLs are devoted pages for our campaigns and cannot be accessed by other means than clicking on our ads.)  We are not currently concerned with tracking where visits come from, just that all visits are being counted.  Is our line of thinking correct?  Do you know anything else that could cause such a consistent level of discrepancy between Ad Clicks and Website Visits?