AdWords
2.8K members online now
2.8K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Dimensions - Geographic and User Locations

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

In Dimensions, what is the difference between Geographic and User Locations?

Also, if the majority of impressions and clicks have United States and the most specific location, what does that mean? Does this have to do with the browser settings at the user level?

I am trying to exclude a number of areas within the US, but I'm wondering if my ads could be showing in those regions anyway.

Thanks.

2 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Re: Dimensions - Geographic and User Locations

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello fnippy;

The user's location is determined by a user's IP.

Read more on Geo-targeting and geo-exclusion, in this wiki article:

An Introduction to AdWords Targeting

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Fnippy

I am doing some cut and paste from AdWords support articles here (my underline):

The Most specific location column shows the most detailed information we have about the location that was used to show your ads. This location may either be your customer's physical location or a location that he showed interest in. The most specific location varies by country depending on the level of geographic targeting available. For example, in India, only regional targeting is available at this time, so geographic reports will not show data more specific than the regions that can be targeted in India. In the U.S., the most specific location may be available at the postal code level.

Most specific location statistics aren't available before November 15, 2011, which will be indicated by "--" in the report.

Also check your "location type" (can be added to columns).

Google Employee
# 4
Google Employee

Hi there, 

Just to mention that a lot of other factors can go into determining a user's location including the domain they are searching on (ie - google.com, or google.ca, or google.co.uk), IP address, and query parsing.

Hope that helps a little bit. 

A. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

is this only available in US, there is no data in my account in South Africa... 

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

This thread has been closed to new replies.

If you have a new or unanswered question related to this topic, please start a new thread and post a clear, specific and detailed question that describes your particular situation.

To start a new thread, please go to the top level of the Community, and from there, click on the board that is most closely related to your question. After that, you can click on the pink "+" sign in the lower right corner of the screen to start a new topic.

Thank you.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’