AdWords
4.9K members online now
4.9K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Digits of precision for Average Position

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello everyone,

Can someone tell me the maximum number of decimals that can be returned for Average Position?  I have looked in the keyword and ad group performance report and it only seems like 1 decimal place is returned.

I have been collecting data to do a position constrained bid strategy and noticed the following.  Please let me know if my assumptions are not correct.

From the beginning of the day a keyword collected 24 impressions and is at an average position of 2.1.  I then query the API 10 minutes later and my keyword collected 26 total impressions since the beginning of the day and is now at an average position of 2.0.  When I calculate the net average position in that 10 minutes I get a value of 0.8.  But a keyword cannot play in a position < 1.  Below is the math:

PositionInitial = 2.1

ImpressionsInitial = 24

PositionNew = 2.0

ImpressionsNew = 26

NetAveragePosition = 0.8 = (2.0*26 - 2.1*24) / 2

My only thought is there are extra digits of precision that are missing that will help me calculate a net position of 1.0.

Any thoughts? Help?

Thanks!

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Digits of precision for Average Position

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

@Kevin P

Its pure statistics....

The average position is calculated separately than the imprisons, and over a vast statistical sampling than an interval of 2 impressions.... 

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Average position is not calculated over a vast statistical sampling, its not that complicated. I get an average position back for keywords that have 1 impression. The error must be in the number of decimal places that are given back from google.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Kevin;
I disagree.
Remember that an average has a standard deviation (assuming a normal distribution) which Google does NOT report.
For the calculation to be reliable, within a certain ststistcal level, - you must have a minimum statistical sampling size (i.e. Impressions)
2 impressions cannot be considered a statistical sampling...
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi @Kevin P and @MosheTLV,

I am providing you with a possible numerical example. 

In the 1st period, say accrued were 22 impressions in position #2 and 2 impression in position #3. The average position is calculated as follows:

Avg pos = (22*2+2*3)/24 = 50/24 = 2.0833..... displayed by Google as 2.1

In the second period, accrued were 2 impressions in position #1. Now the average position for the 2 periods put together is calculated as follows:

Avg pos = (22*2+2*3+2*1)/26 = 52/26 = 2.0000 ...... displayed by Google as 2.0

Kevin, of course, only saw the displayed (rounded) values in the AdWords Interface.

Best,

Lakatos

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Is there anyway that we can get the non-rounded values back? I've check the keyword and ad group performance reports to no avail. Based on historical data my company has, I've seen 2 digits come from the ad performance report but it seems to only be on a daily level. I may have to hit this report and reconcile the net values like I am doing for keyword and ad group performance.

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

@Kevin P;

May I ask what added value  this information would bring in optimizing your campaign performance?

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

@Kevin P

I concur with @MosheTLV. Beyond pure curiosity, I cannot see any legit interest at advertisers' end for Google to meet the "demand" for additional digits to display in reports.

Though I managed to figure out a numerical example for you in my above post, I do not think you could use it for any kind of analysis or decision making process that advertisers usually need to face. It wasn't associated with your AdWords knowledge either; it was much more like a numerical puzzle.

Best,

Lakatos 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
There is an application for this but I dont really want to reveal what I am working on.

Thank you for taking the time to respond. I have enough from here for my next steps.

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor
You are welcome, Kevin.