AdWords
1.5K members online now
1.5K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Differentiating Between Conversions with Same Destination URL

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello - I am wondering if anyone has a solution to tracking different actions (conversions) that lead to the same destination URL. If all actions on my site lead to www.example.com/thank-you then how can I track which conversion someone has made. Right now with that URL set as the destination, even with different funnels with required steps in place, a conversion is recorded for all actions as soon as someone hits that URL.

I understand the ultimate solution is unique destination URLs for each confirmation page, but in the short term that's not possible. Appreciate any guidance.

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: Differentiating Between Conversions with Same Destination URL

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
You can dynamically output the conversion code for each conversion into the source of the thank you page. Have you tried that?

Alternatively, you can simply use Goals in Google Analytics with different funnels and a required step.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
You can dynamically output the conversion code for each conversion into the source of the thank you page. Have you tried that?

Alternatively, you can simply use Goals in Google Analytics with different funnels and a required step.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for replying Dave. I think the first solution you offer is just as much as hurdle for us as making unique confirmation pages. The second -- setting up goal funnels and making the unique page before generic confirmation the required step -- is one I thought would work too. However, when I set that up with one goal, it still registered conversions when users went through a different path (executing a different action) to the same confirmation page.

Any other ideas?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

There really is not other options if you're not willing to put in the effort.

A simple server side script could generate:

yourdomain.com/thank-you?conversiontype=1

You could output the code dynamically like that. 
I understand you have many conversions and paths but you have an uncommon setup, you need an uncommon (more complicated) solution.