AdWords
2.2K members online now
2.2K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Difference in Reporting Between Analytics and Adwords (18 per 100)

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am new to GA but long on Adwords.

I have been monitoring the GA results in comparison to Adwords billing and found a large discrepancy, as many do. I found and read this article:

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/4588315?hl=en&ref_topic=4588493

And due to the complexity of the User to GA interface in comparison to the simplistic Adwords capture, I understand how the Adwords count and GA count can be different.

So, In a recent study I am running, in which I built a specific landing page which can only be accessed through Adwords, I found that GA only records 18% of the value which Adwords bills for that specific ad/landing page.

Is it safe to assume then.......... ALL GA numbers will only reflect 18%+- of the actual activity our site receives?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Difference in Reporting Between Analytics and Adwords (18 per 100)

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi @Peter H
Interesting post.
Short answer - no - GA numbers will not be only 18%+ of actual activity, it will usually be 95% similar to AdWords in consideration of the different ways they both measure and attribute data.
Can you elaborate on the details of your test.
As if you are saying that you made a page with no index etc. so only pure AdWords traffic and then when you had say 100 AdWords clicks you saw in GA only 18 AdWords sessions? That would be very unusual indeed - not the norm.
Can you share more?

Community Manager
# 3
Community Manager
Hi Peter,
Can you share a bit more information about the data discrepancies you are seeing? And can you explain the data you are looking at with the sentence "A only records 18% of the value which Adwords bills for that specific ad/landing page."

Thanks,
Kathleen

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hello David and Hello Kathleen.

I thank each of you for chiming in on this issue.

What I have done is..... I set up an Adwords Campaign which drives traffic to a specific landing page only available through the Adwords advertisement. There is NO OTHER means of finding this page. This brand new page is a copy of a regular page offering various products yet has a Google Search Customer Only discount code. The idea is to entice the viewer to buy obviously with Limited Time, Limited Quantity, ya-da ya-da.....

I prepared this page and its corresponding Adwords ad late last week and fired it off. I have since been following the Adwords count and GA count. Saturdays discrepancy is where I obtained the 18%. Sunday's (yesterday's) count is 4.1% of paid clicks in comparison to GA count.

I personally feel the search customer is not getting to our page or we are paying fake clicks. I believe this as we normally convert about 2% of regular traffic and having a 20% discount code available should realize a higher conversion or at least the 2%. As of this moment, we have yet to convert any customer whom has viewed this page. I find this very strange. Keep in mind though, we are a very small company and DO NOT have huge aggregate numbers to use for calculating our conversions, etc... Yet, between Saturday and Sunday, we have bought 100 clicks with 0 conversions. It should easily have been the 2% we normally expect, if not 4% due to the discount.

As to how I am garnering GA numbers. I am using the User Flow metrics page and it seems fairly correct for the overall numbers of people landing on regular pages and how they interact with the site as a whole. Yet, GA is very hard for me to understand due to its complexity and I am wading through the learning curve. But I am fairly confident, the Adwords click through is not reaching the site.

I am allowing the Adwords to run despite the mounting costs to see what happens and see how the numbers fall out. We all have to admit, this is a strange time of year for advertising as many people are strictly shopping for holiday purchases.

I don't know what else to add nor what to do. At the current rate, Adwords is consuming $900 a month, and this will climb as month's end approaches, with no return. I cannot allow this to continue and MUST use GA to rate Adwords performance.

Your Thoughts!!!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
One other tidbit. I started this campaign late Thursday. So I pulled all the Adwords data and have bought 119 clicks, GA shows 11 clicks. Equals 9.2% registering at GA as actual page views.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hello Kathleen,

Today's report from yesterdays activity.

Just for the fun of it..... I launched a Bing Campaign identical to the Adwords yet having a different and specific landing page specific to Bing Search Customers. This is an exact replication of the scenario we are discussing here. What was found is, GA is registering 100% of the Bing click throughs. Yet, GA registered 4.2% of the Adwords clicks which are being charged.

With these thoughts in mind...... something is amiss. If Bing clicks are being registered appropriately, then Adwords is not doing what they are hired to do and we are being charged inappropriately.

I need your input please!!!
Thank you
Peter Hurley
Owner: Hurley Byrd.LLC

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hello Kathleen,

Yesterday's numbers.

Adwords Charged 27 Clicks, GA registered 1 - 3.7%
Bing Charged 35 Clicks, GA registered 37 - 105.7%

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Finally made a call to an Adwords' Account Rep in Ad Performance. She walked me through linking the Adwords to GA and explained if they are not linked correctly, GA freaks out and does not know what to do with the data coming from Adwords. I will report back in a few days and advise the new stats.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Really interesting stuff Peter. I am having issues with True View campaigns run in Adwords not registering plays in YouTube. I have had a few items of feedback but I currently feel like we inhabit different worlds. These issues just can't be brushed off as reporting discrepencies.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I agree Matthew,

I felt as if I were blown off by the "Experts" here. Very frustrating and huge waste of time. I recommend you call the various parties you need. As for Adwords Rep......... 5 stars for sure. Spent over an hour fixing my issues and did so with extreme patience. I was really pleased with the professionalism.

Good Luck!!!!