AdWords
2.8K members online now
2.8K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Difference btwn AdWords + Analytics conversions

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi guys

I just wanted some reassurance really - I'm seeing 100 less conversions in Analytics for Paid traffic month on month than I'm seeing in my AdWords interface.

Should I be concerned?

Thanks,

Laura

2 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author LauraBburn
September 2015

Re: Difference btwn AdWords + Analytics conversions

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Hello Laura,

I think that the difference is caused by the different terminology used.

Conversions in Adwords are based on clicks.
Conversions in Analytics are based on visits.

The Adwords Clicks are different than the Analytics visits.

There is an important distinction between clicks (such as in your AdWords Campaigns reports) and visits (such as in your Visitors reports). The Clicks column in your reports indicates how many times your advertisements were clicked by visitors, while Visits indicates the number of unique sessions initiated by your visitors

Here you can read more about the cases when there might be a difference:

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1257084?hl=en

Also, there is a report in Adwords, which tells you the number of Ad Clicks/ Conversion. You can find it in the Tools and Analysis -> Conversions -> Conversion window tab -> click on 30 days (or whatever is yours set number) -> See your conversion time lag report -> Path Lenght -> Ad clicks per conversion

You should not be concerned about this, unless the difference is too big -> 100 of how many?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Remus,

The data I'm talking about is bookings - its the same thing in each interface and there is a 100 difference between them?

Thanks for your help

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

1) Less conversions in Analytics than in AdWords ? I have met some cases where people created a conversion in adwords and at the same time imported a Goal from analytics that tracks the same event, like a visit to a page.

So if in AdWords you have a conversion each time people visit your "Contact form URL" and in analytics also a Goals for each time a visit occurs on a "Contact form URL ", and you also decide to import this goal in AdWords, there will be a double count in adwords every time 1 visitor reaches the same page.

Please check first if you are not double counting some conversions.

2) Another reason could be tracking Video for AdWords conversions, true-view clicks are currently not automatically recorded in analytics. So if you have 100 multi-per-view conversions from a Video campaign, it would be counted in adwords in the Tools and Analysis / Conversions but not in Analytics unless you setup manual tagging.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author LauraBburn
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

If i am allowed to my inputs in this thread,

Adwords conversion track the conversions using First Click attribution, but Analytics uses Last Click attribution.

e.g. Suppose a user click on your Google Adwords, viewed the product/services on your Landing page(abc.com/landingpage), then visits the same product on your competitor website and compare the features and prices of the product. Then directly open your website abc.com and buy the product/service or sign up the lead forms.

Then Google Adwords Will count this as a paid conversion, where as Google Analytics count this as conversion as a free source.

So this the reasons that we are getting more Conversion in Adwords as campared to GA.

--Rakesh Kumar, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Thanks everyone!

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Excellent point by Rakesh, It didn't occur to me that this could happen.

There is also the difference in the Delay of recording a transaction explained here :

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/2679221?hl=en

"  2. Date of transaction

AdWords reports conversions against the date/time of the click that led to the successful action, not against the date of the successful action itself. For example, let’s say a visitor makes a purchase on July 20th, but clicked on the creative 1 day ago on July 19th. In AdWords, the conversion would be attributed to July 19th, the day of the click. Conversely, in Google Analytics, the conversion is attributed to July 20th, the day the conversion actually occurred  "

So it is natural to see less Goal completions in analytics when you include Today in the time-frame, or even a recent time-frame of 2-3 days. It is best to compare 1 on 1 on a time-frame that excludes the last 2-3 days.

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor
Hey Laura,

Many possible reasons have been outlined already for you but the biggest question in my mind has not been answered yet.

You say there is a difference of 100 - What are the totals?

Do you have 1 conversion in Analytics and 101 in adwords or 20,000 in AdWords and 19,900 in analytics? Also, are you tracking just 1 Goal and 1 Conversion or are there multiple?

I recently recall seeing that a 10% variation is acceptable - beyond that, there could be any number of previously mentioned tracking and/or technical issues and you may want to get someone from Google to investigate.

-Tommy
Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 9
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Hey PPCBossman,

I'm seeing 736 conversions in AdWords and 640 in Analytics