AdWords
2.2K members online now
2.2K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Device Report

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

In terms of  the device report within ad words for video, is tablet and desktop technically under the same bucket as it doesn't look like were able to target videos on tablet separate from desktop or separate from smartphones.  There is a mobile bid adjustment but it seems as though when I decrease the mobile bid to 100% that impressions and views still deliver to "tablet" and "desktop" under "devices".

I'm curious as normally our clients always bucket tablet and mobile together on their end but it seems as though YouTube classifies them differently.

I'd appreciate any insights.

Thanks, Jason

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Device Report

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Jason,

Welcome to AdWords Community.

After Enhanced Campaigns, the device level targeting has been removed and by default you are set to target all devices.

However, you have a Bid Adjustment feature that allows you to modify the Bid adjustments for Mobile and NOT for (Laptops & Computers) & Tablets. Also, if you dont want to show your ads on Laptop and Tablets then you have to decrease the custom Bid i.e Max CPV and then increase the bid adjustments for Mobiles.

Secondly, if you decrease the Bid adjustments for mobile by 100 %, then the ads will be served on Laptop and Tablets as they take the custom bid i.e Max CPV.

Hope this Helps.
- Prashanth Reniguntala

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star
Yes Jason,

Tablets & Mobiles are not paired together in AdWords & YouTube targeting. And as Prashanth has rightly mentioned here, you can do a bid adjustment for Mobiles and completely negate them but your ads would still show up on tablets.

There are no bid adjustment features for tablets in AdWords or YouTube. So if you wish to run a campaign based on devices targeted, you may have to stick to advertising on Desktop & Tablets together or along with Mobile devices.

Hope this Helps!

Cheers!

Shashank
Cheers,
Shashank Singh, AdWords Rising Star |
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please hit "Like" or "Accept as Solution"

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for your feedback. That's what I thought.

I'm curious why we cannot target tablets separately from desktop or mobile or why there isn't a tablet bid adjustment. Is it a technical issue or just something that ad words has not built into the system? Or is there a reason why ad words buckets Desktop and Tablets together when they are most likely different types of viewers with different behaviors.

Thanks!

[ Edited ]
Rising Star
# 5
Rising Star

Hi Jason,

This is not a technical issue from AdWords but is something that AdWords has not given us advertisers as an option to target separately or exclude altogether.

As to the question, why AdWords has bucketed Desktop & Tablets together, that is something that they identified using user behavior. I believe, the user behavior on Tablets & Desktops are similar while making an online transaction or just browsing. However, the user behavior on Mobile devices may be totally different from that on Desktop & Tablets.

I understand that while the targeting options came sometime not seem very flexible but I am sure the people at AdWords must have a strong reasoning behind doing this.

Hope this Helps!

Cheers!

Shashank

Cheers,
Shashank Singh, AdWords Rising Star |
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please hit "Like" or "Accept as Solution"