AdWords
5.1K members online now
5.1K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Destination URL click times

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm looking to grab click times for each destination url. For example

destination_url                 __  - click_time

domain.com/landing_page_1 - 2015-1-1 10:32:00

domain.com/landing_page_2 - 2015-1-3 09:05:00

domain.com/landing_page_3 - 2015-1-4 13:30:00

What is the best way to generate these reports of AdWords clicks? From my searching so far, it seems that the click time might only get as specific as the hour of the click. 

Re: Destination URL click times

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Hello! Google provides the hour of day for clicks in various reports such as the Account, Campaign, and Adgroup Performance reports. This is represented as an integer value between 0 - 23 only and not as a value that includes the time.

To record the precise time of the click you could use server-side code that detects the GCLID environment variable (from the URL) and records this (post to GA as custom variable or record to local DB) along with the time. Then you could match this up via the AdWords Click Performance and other reports.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you! Let's assume I track the GCLID from the referring URL, saving to the local database along with the timestamp. Is the AW click performance report you mentioned the best one to show the GCLID? I couldn't find a way to segment by GCLID; that is, I want to show the number of clicks by GCLID.

As an alternate solution, I was thinking I could attempt the same approach with the {random} parameter in the URL instead of GCLID.

Either way, the trick seems to be generating the report that includes click and GCLID OR {random}.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
I think the Click Performance report is the only report that includes the GCLID. Also, I think each click has a unique GCLID and so it wouldn't be useful to group clicks by GCLID.

I came across an interesting post that shows how to decode the GCLID and each contains a timestamp which is what you want, right? https://deedpolloffice.com/blog/articles/decoding-gclid-parameter

However in March last year Google changed the GCLID so that they could be up to 100 char long and I don't know if it can still be decoded.

If you are wanting to run AdWords API reports without having to code anything, then you could run them from our free software - http://www.marketflare.com. I tested it with the Click Performance report and it works fine, but the constraint on this report is that it can only be run for a 1 day time period. So we have a multi-period report feature that is accessible if you run the report from the Report History section in the Bulk Reporting Tool.... this way you can automatically run any number of 1 day reports to have the data for longer periods. Then in the report view you could group by any dimension (right click).

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you. I understand this click performance report will include invalid clicks, however. It's looking like there's no way to get only valid gclids. Still, this report might be better than nothing.