AdWords
2.7K members online now
2.7K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Demographics Issue : Age

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

When launching a campaign on Adwords and (Search Network Only) and analysing the results, it appears that a disproportionately high percentage of the paid traffic on my site seems to be above 55 - despite the fact that my neither my product nor my ad is targeted towards that particular age demographic (40% is 65+, 60% is 55+). This is extremely confusing and, while I know that Adwords targeting on the Search Network does not allow for targeting by age, I have the following questions:

1 - Is GA demographics data accurate? I'm aware that if a person is not logged in, Google tracks / estimates the age based on cookies installed. However, what happens if the logins are from company IPs, where different searches might be performed / sites visited on a particular day?

2 - Is there any possibility of targeting by age at all, aside from in the Display Network?

If the data is accurate, then:

3 - Is this age distribution the same for everyone?

4 - If so, or not, does anyone know why this would happen - when neither the ad nor the product are designed for that age demographic? Is it that a large percentage of Adwords traffic in general happens to be from there?

5 - Any general suggestions aside from this?

Any input on this matter will be greatly appreciated! Thanks a lot in advance.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Abner S
February 2016

Re: Demographics Issue : Age

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Abner S

The data is fairly accurate, as with most metrics such as this Google does not show them unless they can operate within a 95% significance level (p<0.05).

For this reason you will find that your demographic data can range anywhere from around 35%-65% of the users, I have not seen the 'unknown' lower than 35% of total users but I am sure it can happen and is possibly happening in some of my campaing it is just not something one really actively looks for.

With regards to targeting, Demographic data (Age/Gender) is currently in beta for search, I do not have an expected release date for you or if it will even be released (not all beta's make it).

The age distribution is not the same for everyone, my biggest client currently has less than 5% of users in the 55-64 & 65+ category combined.

I would need to know more about the brand to make any accurate estimations as to why you have such a larger older audience, I would suggest doing a complete analysis of your search terms report. See what users are searching for and then actually go and search for those things yourself. You may find that your high volume keywords are closely related to something that the older audience is searching for. There is likely to be a generational gap here of some sort, what you think when you think of your product name may not actually be what the general population thinks.

That being said I have found the older demographics to be more discerning with their clicks (they usually don't just click on the first thing they see) so it is likely that your ad is appealing to them in some way, again possibly because of the miscommunication.

The other option is that perhaps your target market is completely incorrect Smiley Tongue.

Good Luck

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Clynton,

Thank you very much for your reply and advice; very helpful indeed. However the only question that remains from me - or rather comes up as a result of your reply - is how do I see the 'Unknown' part of my demographic data? There is no line in my Analytics view that allows me to see that.
Thanks once again for the rest of the info!

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Abner,

'Unknown' is an Adwords metric so only when looking at demographic data in AdWords will it be listed. If you are looking in GA at a demographic report then Unknown will be a manually calculated metric, simply the sessions stated in the demographic report subtracted from total sessions for the same period (same logic applied when looking at a segmented view).

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Clynton,
Thanks again! Realised this a little while after I replied to you; silly me. But appreciate your replies very much.
Have a great day. Cheers!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Clynton

I have asked myself the same question as Abner. As google states, they derive the demographics with the help of cookies, surfing behaviour and so on. https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2580383
My question now is, if I do know the demographics such as age and gender and the user is not logged in (but identified with a unique userid), should I push the information into the dataLayer and would it even be used? Or are all the demographics based on estimations?

Thanks and regards!
Chris

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Christian,

If you have this information you can certainly use it (provided it does not break any policy rules). likely uses will be for floodlights so that you can specify gender targeting. Pushing this information into the dataLayer though will not make it accessible to GA, as far as I am aware there is no way to force feed GA demographic data.

Goodluck

Demographics Issue : Age

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Team,

We have faced issue in Analytic, We don't have receive demographics traffic data in analytic, Please check and suggest me, what is the exact problem.

I also enable data tracking option in analytic.

Thanks