AdWords
4.9K members online now
4.9K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Decision : to stop returning visitors with remarketing OR NOT

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello all,

If I see this in analytics MCF top conversion paths :

keep-returning-visitors.png

Does it mean that by stopping returning visitors with an exclusion for a "remarketing [all visitors] list" , it will lower the conversion number because conversions occur mainly after 2 paid visits ?

Is there a way to limit visitors to only 2 visits using any feature ?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Decision : to stop returning visitors with remarketing OR NOT

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

I think that basing your decision on acquisition channel alone is not optimal. I'd rather look at the search query / landing page conversion path (or display campaign, or organic search term, if any) and take it from there.

However, one important lesson I've learned is that remarketing to all website visitors with standard messages regardless of their differences (how many visits, visited site sections, level of engagement) does not yield any spectacular results.

My 2 cents, based on my data, nothing absolute in here.

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you for the input.

I'll try to make things more clear : I am not remarketing to all visitors. The owner of the account wants to use the "exclude audience" feature to stop paying for returning visitors in the search campaigns. However after looking at the MCF it seems to me that the 14 top conversions occur after 2 paid clicks . Does it mean that 14 identical "machines" visited the site twice through adwords before converting , or that in general from 28 "machines" 14 convert , this leaving an average of 1 conversion for every 2 paid clicks? My problem is how to interpret data from the MCF top conversion path to take decisions.

The remarketing campaigns are separate and are targeted properly with selected audiences and new landing pages, new Ads.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Adrian B
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

I see.

First of all, make sure you only check E-commerce transactions and not goals as well, in case that you, like me, track e-commerce websites both by transactions and by goal funnels. If you do, you'll see twice as many conversions, because completed goals are counted as conversions as well. Maybe it's not the case, but I wanted to make sure, nevertheless. In my case, in one of my accounts, each transaction triggers two more goals, so I see triple conversions until I uncheck the goals.

The Paid Search x 2 -> 14 conversions means that in 14 cases, (14 conversions, occured in 14 different browsers, not necessarily machines, as one machine can have several installed browsers), a visitor came twice through paid searches and then converted.

Now, are you sure you checked "All conversions" in MCF, and not "2 or more". It's surprising that no conversion occured on the first visit. Or maybe not.

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

This is not an e-commerce site, it has goals defined for the visitors reaching certain pages as "contact" or "prices".

Following your advice I have learned two things now :

1) To select the better path length to the "All" option, because the default was "2 or more" and I was seeing very few conversions this way.

top-conversion-paths1.png

2) To activate the "secondary dimension = keywords or search terms" to see exactly which keywords triggered conversions in 2 visits , some of them I have paused because they had only clicks without conversions without thinking to verify if they are on the path of conversion for other keywords.

Now this is the full picture, and I think I have all the data to take an educated decision. Thank you.

top-conversion-paths2.png

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
You're welcome & good luck.