AdWords
5K members online now
5K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Deciding between UTM and Value Track Parameters

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello, I'm a bit confused about how to use the option Tracking Template at the Campaign level (Search and Display-All features). My Google Adwords account is already linked to my Google Analytics account. 

So at the beginning I was thinking to use the usual UTM code in the final URL of each ad. Something like: http://www.mypage.com/book-now?utm_source=google&utm_medium=display-ad&utm_content=120x600&utm_campa...

Then I saw I could use Value Track Parameters. Something like:

www.mypage.com/book-now/{lpurl}?matchtype={matchtype}&network={network}&placement={placement}&device...

Now I'm not sure which parameters to use or if I could mix UTM and Value Tracks Parameters some way to get the same details from both types of parameters over the campaign I'm gonna launch soon.

Any idea of the best Tracking Template to achieve this? Any recommended structure? I want to measure results knowing all the information mentioned above! 

Thanks

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Lady J
December 2015

Re: Deciding between UTM and Value Track Parameters

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hey Lady, how are things?

First and most important thing: If you already have your Adwords linked with your Analytics account, DO NOT use UTM parameters on your Adwords URLs.

When you link your accounts, Google will turn on automatic encoding on your URLs and everyone that click on your ads, will see a parameter on your URL called GCLID. The GCLID parameter is an encrypted way of Google Adwords to pass information from your account to Analytics, meaning that GCLID already have "UTM".

If you have the accounts linked and also use manual UTM, you can have duplicated data on so many erros on Analytics. It's not worth it.

That said, you should definitely go with the Value Tracks.

1. Final URL
  2. Tracking Template

Your setup should be something like:

Final URL = mypage.com/book-now/

Tracking template = {lpurl}?matchtype={matchtype}&device={device}&keyword={keyword}

Where {lpurl} will be filled with the URL from "Final URL" field, so Google will end up concatenating those two, providing your full URL:

mypage.com/book-now/?matchtype={matchtype}&device={device}&keyword={keyword}

Lady J wrote:

Then I saw I could use Value Track Parameters. Something like:

www.mypage.com/book-now/{lpurl}?matchtype={matchtype}&network={network}&placement={placement}&device...

One thing on this: Don't mix Search Network with Display Network Value Tracks. You should create on template for each network, so 1 for Search and 1 for Display. 

Search

mypage.com?keyword={keyword}&matchtype={matchtype}&network={network}&device={device}

Display

mypage.com?placement={placement}&network={network}&

Hope this helps.

Leandro Martinez | Basta1Click

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi, all good Smiley Happy

Thanks for your reply Leandro; but if I got one Search and Display Campaign only, where should I add the template then? On the final URL or on the ad level? I'm using text ads for search and display + images only for display, all that in the same campaign.

If I wanted to create the template at campaign level, which Value tracks could I use for both of the networks? What's your recommendation?

Thanks again!

Lady

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star
Hey Lady,

Actually this is a good question. As part of best practices, it's recommended that you have separated campaigns for Search and Display. I've never used them in one campaign, specially with the ValueTracks. I think that in this case you can have Search and Display Tracks on the same URL, and if I'm not mistaken, some will be left as blank. If that's okay for you, then go for it.

I'd recommend to split them into separate campaigns and create different tracks for each. You'll have to give a study specially for Display, but you will have so much more controle over it, separate budget, results and everything else.

Hope this helps.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hello Leandro, thanks

I created 2 separate campaigns now, one for Search, another for Display. Do you now how can I do to avoid visitors from mobile phones in both campaigns? Also how can I avoid robots giving fake clicks to the placements I've selected?

Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star
Hey Lady J, how are things?

When you want to avoid mobile phone on Search campaigns, usually you go to campaigns settings and then on devices, and set mobile bid for "-100%". It's kind of a "hack", but Google doesn't allow you to create or turn off mobile devices they way they used to a few years ago before implementing advanced campaigns. I don't know if this works for Display, but for display, you can include "adsenseformobileapps.com" as a negative placement.

For the robots, you should identify their IP's with your host provider and add them on the negative ip list inside adwords.

Hope this helps.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi @Leandro,

Curious, you mentioned very strongly not to use UTM with auto-tagging turned on. We have a need to register UTM's in our website backend (CRM) so kind of need to have them in the final url. My understanding is that if you use both, then GA will first register the UTM and then shortly after override with GCLID data. Will this cause data to be registered twice?

And what about the option to allow UTM to override GCLID values? Would this make a better option for our use case above?

Thanks!

Rising Star
# 8
Rising Star

Hey @Nick M, let's see if I can help.

Nick M wrote:
My understanding is that if you use both, then GA will first register the UTM and then shortly after override with GCLID data. Will this cause data to be registered twice?

In every case and documentation you can find you'll see that there's scenarios where UTM can override GCLID information, but never the other way around. This is applied to some very specific cases, and as overall rule, the base is: never use UTM and GCLID at the same time

GCLID won't override UTMs the way you expect and you can definitely have wrong data (not only duplicated data, but many other).

That happens because GCLID passes along many information, including what would be the UTMs, so it's safe to say that GCLID already contain the UTMs, so no need to add them manually in the URL

Nick M wrote:
Curious, you mentioned very strongly not to use UTM with auto-tagging turned on. We have a need to register UTM's in our website backend (CRM) so kind of need to have them in the final url.

The whole problem happens because the CRMs have base on every other media that need to have UTM parameters and Adwords is an exception for that (since it can run with GCLID instead of UTM).

The solution I personally use for this is to create custom parameters of my own that will have the same information as the UTMs, but I can use it for whatever/whenever I want. So let's get a typically facebook post which will have my site URL and should contain some UTMs. In my case I'd do something like:

mywebsite.com/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=post&utm_campaign=BrandingCampaign&src=facebook&mdm=post&cmpgn=BrandingCampaign

Notice that the parameters have the same information, but I keep them the info separated into different pararmeters because I want the UTMs to be used only and exclusively in GA, so purple is for Analytics ONLY and orange I can use for internal data, such as the CRM.

In the page below you will find some more information about this, including the following sentence when you need to use manual tagging:

"Remember to disable auto-tagging. If you unintentionally mix manual and auto-tagging, you're likely to encounter data discrepancies"

Reference: https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1033981?hl=en

Hope this helps.

_

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi @Leandro,

Thanks so much for your reply! It does shed some light on my case.

Really all I need to do is use auto-tagging and GLICD for my Adwords <-> Analytics setup, and then just add my own custom parameters to the URL so that our CRM can pick these up right? So my URL in all my Adwords ads could be:
http://www.mysite.com/?campaign=my_camp&medium=cpc&source=google

That would not interfere with GLICD and proper tracking in analytics would it?
Is there a smarter way to set this up in Adwords? Is it better to use the template and URL options for this?

Our CRM doesn't care if it's UTM params or custom params, as long as we know what to search for.

Thanks!

Edit:

So I read up some more about Value Track etc. Our needs are quite basic at the moment, and we just need to be able to track the paid traffic source in our CRM. So I went ahead and setup Campaign URL Options on the Campaign level in our Adwords account:

{lpurl}?campaign=campaign_name&medium=cpc&source=google

I hope this will play nicely with auto-tagging?

P.s. for some reason I couldn't add an image to this post.

Rising Star
# 10
Rising Star

Hey Nick,

Nick M wrote:

Really all I need to do is use auto-tagging and GLICD for my Adwords <-> Analytics setup, and then just add my own custom parameters to the URL so that our CRM can pick these up right? So my URL in all my Adwords ads could be:
http://www.mysite.com/?campaign=my_camp&medium=cpc&source=google

Exactly, this should work perfectly Smiley Happy 

Nick M wrote:

That would not interfere with GLICD and proper tracking in analytics would it?

Nope, it wouldn't. As long as you don't use UTM + GCLID, anything else should work fine. Just make sure that your parameters doesn't have the same name of the UTMs

Nick M wrote:

Is there a smarter way to set this up in Adwords? Is it better to use the template and URL options for this?

Yes, it's better, and depending on what level you create the template, it won't send your ads for review over and over every change!

I like to set campaign template for each type of campaign. For example, for Search Network I would use this template

{lpurl}?src=GoogleSearch&kwd={keyword}&ntw={network}&dvc={device}&adpos={adposition}

and for Google Display Network I like to use:

{lpurl}?src=GoogleDisplay&plc={placement}&dvc={device}

Nick M wrote:

So I read up some more about Value Track etc. Our needs are quite basic at the moment, and we just need to be able to track the paid traffic source in our CRM. So I went ahead and setup Campaign URL Options on the Campaign level in our Adwords account:

{lpurl}?campaign=campaign_name&medium=cpc&source=google

This will play nicely with GCLID.

Hope this helps Smiley Happy

_