AdWords
5.1K members online now
5.1K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Data driven attribution model slow to update - any advice?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

I recently switched a couple of large accounts to the dda model as it seems to make so much sense however it is causing problems in that it takes so long to update conversion data and because of our spend, product availability and fluidity in demand it generally means the conversion data on a today, even yesterday level is grossly under counted.

For example if I look at yesterdays 4th May conversion numbers right now its at, let say, 1000. If I look at 4th May conversion numbers later on today it will be at 1100 and if I look at it tomorrow it will be at 1200. This isn't because people are going on to convert (ok a tiny part is but the vast majority of our sales our 1st day and 1st click) but it's because the main interface is really slow in updating conversion numbers since switching to dda, which is causing bidding and other account management problems. For example it looks like I have a bunch of campaigns converting at negative ROI yesterday but over time the data will show they are fine.

If I look at the attribution modeling tool HOWEVER it is reporting what seems to be a much more accurate and higher level of dda conversions for yesterday, therefore it seems to be a problem limited to the Adwords interface being slow to update, not the actual dda modeling.

Am reluctant to switch back to last click attribution. Any feedback, advice?

Thanks,

Andy

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Rakesh Kumar (Top Contributor)
May 2017

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Google refreshes the data daily;

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2544985?hl=en

I "played" a bit with the attribution models, and honestly ended up with the classic "last click". At the end, like in a real business life,  the "guy" who nails the sale earns the credit...

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Rakesh Kumar (Top Contributor)
May 2017

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Google refreshes the data daily;

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2544985?hl=en

I "played" a bit with the attribution models, and honestly ended up with the classic "last click". At the end, like in a real business life,  the "guy" who nails the sale earns the credit...

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Re: Data driven attribution model slow to update - any advice?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Andy,

I am observing the same problem in my accounts as well. I have to wait up to 72 hours in some cases.

Just wanted to point out that, since it is not evident from what you have written above, that DDA will make the most impact for your campaigns if you are on a Target CPA or Target ROAS bid strategy.

Only then will DDA actually contribute to informing the optimization algorithms underlying smart bid strategies. (You should see about a 5% lift with DDA compared to other attribution models).

Given that you are using a smart bidding strategy I would definitely not switch back to last click.

However, I also have to wait up to 3 days before I can finalize my weekly reports and if you are 

running your own business then I can understand your concern even more.

Just keep in mind that the AdWords interface being slow, does not mean that your smart bidding strategies are not supplied with the most recent conversion data.

Btw. if you set DDA on more than one conversion action the AdWords interface slows down even more and the perceived data lag increases further, but it's only an issue for reporting.

Best,

Kyu

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi,

Yes I understand DDA works best with automated bid strategies, which is another topic, but im not using automated strategies (though I have been testing it on some campaigns) as our product conv rates are so changeable I don't trust the system, or 3rd party bid management systems, to be able to make changes fast enough e.g. if prices rise or availability changes. Because im bidding manually I can't wait 24 hours+ for the data.

Best,

Andy 

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

@Andy M

Collecting data and analyzing (by the system ) is a key to the success of those machine learning algorithms.  If you can't wait - don't use any advanced attribution modeling. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Andy,

The Attribution Modeling Tool report is similar to GA in that it reports based on time of conversion rather than time of click. The AWFE report is based on time of click, hence some discrepancy between the two reports... the AWFE waits for the conversion cycle to complete to distribute credit, while the modeling tool is more of a projection based on the DDA model data.

Hopefully that helps.

Thanks,

Daniel

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Moshe!

I saw you were able to help with the above query, so I'm hoping you might have a thought on mine too as I could really do with some help!?

Is it still the case that we cannot change our attribution model in GA? My understanding is that it's always automatically set permanently as last click?

If so, is there a way to use the Attribution modelling tool to display sessions as well as the other data? Here's what I'm trying to achieve - 

I want my dimensions to display: 

Source/medium    |     Landing Page URL

But I also want to be able to break it down into devices, e.g:

Mobile traffic        |      Tablet traffic

I can get this view easily using the acquisitions section, however I need to change that to first click, so I can see the full picture of what is the actual best traffic source for my funnel on the different channels I'm using.

If you can help, I would really appreciate hearing your thoughts or possible solutions!?

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Ben;

Check this article - it should help

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/6148697

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for sending that over, I read through it but it doesn't answer the question unfortunately.

In short, I'd like to review -

Traffic AND conversions

By Device Type AND Source AND Landing page

On a First click basis

That way I can review how much traffic is generated by which marketing source and what the conversion rate is on each platform. Here's a link to a screengrab of what I'd like - I set it up in Acquisition -> Source Medium, the only thing it's missing is the attribution modelling, is there a way to apply it to that setup?

Thanks again,

Ben

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

This should be possible with a custom report. The best would be to check with our colleagues at the analytics forum how to set it up.